cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

Citrus Greening Destroys Orange Trees

"Citrus greening disease is a threat to the U.S. citrus industry. Other than tree removal, there is no effective control once a tree is infected and there is no known cure for the disease. "

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant_health/plant_pest_info/citrus_greening/background.shtml

It must be awful to be a citrus grower and face the prospects of losing everything you've built up.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Citrus Greening Destroys Orange Trees

Do they insure their trees like a crop or would they be more like property improvement. Or are they not able to insure something like that. Seems like they are always having some problem threatening their crop.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

In apples, I use crop insurance which is year to year just like row crops.Have no idea about citrus, but would assume its similar. I don't know of an insurance for the longevity of the trees themselves. I'm sure if you can afford the cost, there's something out there. This kind of sounds like a fireblight type infection. Early detection is key in saving your trees with that. Streptomycin helps to prevent fireblight, but as long as you cut the infected limb out, you stop it from spreading to the main leader of the tree. Sounds like there is little sign of the bacteria for years at a time though.
0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

"Citrus trees infected with HLB, also called citrus greening, usually die within five to 10 years. Fruit on infected trees often falls to the ground before harvest, and fruit that remains on trees may become misshapen and sometimes only partially ripen."

From USDA site.

0 Kudos