cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Climate Change in Corn Belt

From ISU

Temperature change increase of 1.3°F to 1.9°F since 1895, most of the change is since 1970.

Most of the warming has been in the cool half of the year

Summer humidity has increased

Mean precipitation has increased slightly

Heavy rainfall happens more often

Mean precipitation is predicted to increase slightly, mostly in winter and spring

Heavy summer precipitation is projected to increase

What does that mean?

More summer humidity might affect the kinds and amount of diseases

Warmer winters might affect insects wintering over

Heavier rainfall may affect drainage needs

Cover crops might help with bigger rains

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Climate Change in Corn Belt

The Dakotas like rain, even "too much rain" the cornbelt has shifted west.  We complain (I do) about these sub zero days, as a kid in the 70s, I remember just crazy amounts of snow, way more than now.  And we raised continuous corn in the peat and moldboard plowed it, early May I plowed and would turn up chunks of frozen ground, the 18th of May was deemed the best date to plant.  Now planting in peat or anywhere is April 20th...if you can.

I would say planting dates moved up 3 weeks and it seems we haven`t had that killing freeze on October 1st anymore.  It seems it goes to nearly the middle of October now, 2 weeks longer.   However planting windows and harvest windows are much narrower, you could no longer figure planting 800 acres with a 6 row or harvesting it with a 4400 4 row CH and 15`beanhead....plus figure doing custom work  Smiley Happy   Now a 12 row planter and 8 row combine on 200 acres doesn`t exactly keep you timely with your field operations   Smiley Happy

0 Kudos