cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gil.gullickson
Veteran Contributor

Continuous corn for 2016?

All,

It seems that continuous corn was the rage a few years ago in the days of $7 corn, but prices, of course, aren't anywhere that level. 

What's your sense of continous corn for 2016?

Are rotations with soybeans coming back? In those applicable areas, maybe some wheat in the rotation? 

Thanks,

Gil Gullickson

Crops Technology Editor

Successful Farming 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Continuous corn for 2016?

Gil, alot of farmers have went a number of continuous years of corn, it would be a no-brainer for them to go beans this year(depending on exact circumstances).  With beans there are a whole lot less checks to write out than corn and at current prices all crops are negative cashflow and tight credit.  The banker might say "If I`m dumb enough to finance a opperation that is going to lose money, I`m sure not going to pick the highest capital requirement choice" .

If LaNina effects don`t kick in until later summer, maybe there would be the most chance of beans catching a price rally?   So if your farm has adequate water and there`s a price rally, beans could hit a homerun.  Alotta "coulds" and "ifs"   🙂

0 Kudos
gil.gullickson
Veteran Contributor

Thx, I had wondered about that. I talked with a MN farmer who said the seed corn companies really held tight on price this year. One large company held steady from 2015, while another major one was down just a bit. So yes, with less costs for soybeans, it makes sense.

Gil 

0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

Over the years I've tried several different rottaions, inlcuding CoC.  For a number of reasons, I've returned to 50-50 CB.  Your fertilizer bill is spread out.  You get agronomic benfits of pest cycle disruption.  You are not chasing markets but rather can plan on your production and look out 3 years if you want.  Workload is spread out and storage needs are less with a CB rotation.

I don't get the feeling that there is much change in the CB cycle in eastern Iowa.  

0 Kudos
gil.gullickson
Veteran Contributor

Thanks, when my new renter took over in 2010, we went continuous corn and it didn't turn out that well. But there were lots of extenuating circumstances too. That area had a spell of reallly rough wet weather, so it was difficult to clear residue and the stand was uneven. A year later, there was a row that overlapped so that it was corn on corn. The difference between it and the adjacent corn planted on soybean ground was striking. great stand on soybean ground, not so much on corn ground.

Might be a different story, now, though, since it has dried out. But still gunshy after that experience in 2010.

Gil 

0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

BTW, Darrell Good of Illinois posted an article about soybeans on soybeans.  Some years it pays.  I'm going to have 2 acres of BoB this year as part of a rotation change.

0 Kudos
Blacksandfarmer
Veteran Advisor

Gil, in my area of SW Michigan/ NE Indiana I don't expect much CoC acres. We might see some CoC acres from guys who have livestock, but that's about it. You might see more BoB though. CoC never made much sense to me, more cost and more labor don't add up right now.

0 Kudos