cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Corn Question

I planted 111 day corn on April 21, when should I start to see tassels, and how long after that is pollination?  Our 10-14 day forecast (if you believe in them) is calling for above average precip and temps in the 80's.  Would this be good pollination weather?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Re: Corn Question

Shag - You need to check the book on the brand , number , of corn you planted - this all depends on GGD's - you can then go to K-State - they should have the amount of GGD's to date on there , that than should give you a good idea to tassel - weather play's with these numbers and planting date -  Here in Indiana ,as planting is delayed past May 1  the necessary GDD's from planting to silking decreases by about 1.6 GDD's pre day . This was just an example - Day's under average - days above - does the same thing .

You can also go to weather underground -and type in your town - they will have your daily temps and you can figure your own GGD's - they may even have it figured up for each day .

As far as your weather - rain - temps = great !

So far Shaggy - you have the best half stand of corn I have ever seen --- Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
farmerguy89
Advisor

28/18 day night is best. If stressed, you can still get pollination if morning temps arent high.

You tassel somewhere around v12-16? I don't pay too much attention. Look for the tassel by dissecting the plant if your curious
0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

Didn't your corn take a while to emerge. 115 day corn planted around here at the same time is tasseling. But we didn't get that cold weather the end of April. I was scared the cold might make it this way and waited till first week of May.
0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

It's actually 105 day corn.  My agronomist said I should see some tassels within a week or so.

0 Kudos