cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Corn/Sorghum Silage

Would alternating one row of field corn with one row of forage sorghum make good silage?  I thought the 50/50 skip row blend would reduce the water requirements but still allow me to get some grain into the mix.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Corn/Sorghum Silage

Yes, that should work well.

it might even increase your total tonnage take too.

also enables a wider harvest window too.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

We used to plant the tallest milo variety we culd get and put it in the middle and top of the pit - an every other row would be good to help keep the stuff standing before harvest and getting it through the cutter ---

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I always wanted to try some legumes mixed in my silage. I was thinking forage soybeans. You may find something that would work better in your climate.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

I have read that you can mix the sorghum seed right in with the corn in the seed box. There is one guy in my area that has done this and said it works fine and i am thinking of doing that this coming year

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

I would love to do this.
My father and I put out over 60 acres on Sorghum Sudan out this year and the cows go crazy for it and it has enabled us to put 10lb per head Avg in the milk tank thanks to just incorporating this into the feed ration.

I asked my local seed dealer last year about anything to plant along with our silage corn and he said he wouldn't plant anything because it would be too hard to chop.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Why does he think sorghum silage would be more difficult to chop than corn silage?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

He said it was when they both were together it would just be too hard on the equipment.

If I can use my corn planter and just mix the corn seed and forage sorghum I'll put a 50 acre field out and try it this year.

I have a International cyclone 400 and a newer Kinze planter, I would rather use the International if I could because I like it better as far as planting more evenly.
0 Kudos