cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hanktbd
Senior Contributor

Corn crop continues to go south

Corn around here is one of three colors.

Green = A few spots here and there

Yellow to Chartreuse = Most of the corn in varying degrees

Brown to Black = Significant amount drowned out or herbicide burned

What is puzzling is that the corn seems to look worse every day. This in spite of daytime highs in the mid 70's and little to no rain for 5 or 6 days. Seems like the 6 to 9 inches the week before must have drowned the soil microbes and moved the nitrogen way down in the root zone or the Mississippi. Even some fields that got 28% sidedressed several days ago are still chartreuse and look like heck. Can never remember such ugly looking corn this time of year. Drove past several hundred fields of corn today on a 30 mile diameter loop and ZERO looked good to excellent. A few fields looked "not as bad as the rest", but zero looked good.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Re: Corn crop continues to go south

Seems like the 6 to 9 inches the week before must have drowned the soil microbes

Yep hank - You nailed it there -- BUT they will build back up quick - And the corn will take off like gang busters . Mine is a little slow to and I haven't had the rain you have -- I think our problem here is the weather is good for people = low 70's -- we need some heat and humidity .  BTW don't worry ! your corn will probably  make 180 - Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
JCCWIS
Senior Contributor

Thinking about it ECIN.... My corn may make 180 also......with the few acres I have planted That would be 180 bu. total !!!!   John

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Thats what I thought John ! You northen guys have been sandbagging again ! 

0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

40's at night may be as much a problem as only 70's during the day.
0 Kudos
hanktbd
Senior Contributor

ECIN,

Looks like you are correct about the microbes coming back. Starting Sunday a lot of the corn fields began to green up and this morning they look considerably better. Not sure how much yield has been reduced as the fields are still very uneven and have the drownout spots as well as the compaction lines.

0 Kudos