cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Corn drydown

All,

For those of you who have corn out in the field, is it drying out?

I was up in eastern SD-SW Minnesota last week and it seemed like it was pretty wet. I know in NE South Dakota they have had some nice drying days recently, just wondering how it is in your area?

Thanks,

Gil Gullickson

Crops Technology Editor

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Corn drydown

It isnt drying any with continuious rain, and wet stalks r weak stalks. But there is nothing we can do about it but watch baseball on tv. Till it freezes really we just well sit tight because well just tear up fields and equipment. Our yields are very good and we notill everything, and need to let things dry enough so we can keep doing that. Anyone working ground is kidding themselves and losing soil for no reason.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Milo in Central Kansas is having a hard time drying as well. The 10 day forecast shows all dry so maybe this time we can get rolling.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

We did about 80 acres of 96 day dekalb (46-20) that was 18%. Pleasantly surprised. Ncia near the minnesota border. A week earlier did a little 98 day dekalb (48-12) that was 24. Go gonna get into 10-102 day by thurs. Rained out monday and yesterday.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Shelled 112 day corn on Sat. and Sunday - anywhere from 22.6 to 27 - average came in around 24 or so . Got 2.4 inchs over the last few days and raining this morning - I feel that - at this time - corn may not dry much more , nice of Friday , Sat. Sunday and chance of rain on Monday , next  week .

One thing I have noticed is that the kernel size on my corn is very large - and it's slow to run threw the dryer - at 22.6 I should be dumping around 675 an hour - and am down to 375 an hour - just takes more time to cook that water out .

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

I thought I was having dryer problems !  I too could dry 600-700 bu/hr in years past. This year it's been avg. 350-450 bu/hr.  That takes more propane !   Where are propane prices going ???

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Going up unlike the grain prices. At these prices does it even justify combining?? I'm paying the rents and bills and seriously debating just leaving it out in the field. With my yields (40bu). 150bu I'm looking at $4 plus just to break even with what I have in an acre. $715. Any advice before I lose the farm???
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Central IL haven't seen anything under 24% drying alone will break us that is if it dries out enough to go get it out.
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Ouch, sorry to hear that. Wish I had some advice to help you. The only good thing (here) is that temps are supposed to get in the high 60s here this week, so hope that gets over your way. This wet year really dinged up some things besides wet corn. just got done twittering some stuff from IA state about ear molds and up in NE South Dakota, white mold dinged a few soybeans, especially the ones in 15-inch rows.

GIl 

0 Kudos