cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OKdon
Senior Contributor

Corn planter running on my farm

In NC IOWA. If I chat more than a couple of minutes my planter guy will have planted a couple acres while you are reading the post. Can remember my dad planting with a two row mounted palnter mounted on a Farmall model C.Later a 4 row pull. In adult hood I planted with a six row 30 inch planter and i later bougth an 8row 30" JD that had to be transported from field to field. Still later on  I bought a 7100 hydraulic fold 12 row 30" and my last planter was a 7200 Jd 12 row pull. Now my custom operator plants with a 24 row IHC  unless he traded planters this season.

He may have planted five acres while i typed it and did a spell check. It's simply anazing the amount of work  they can do with the new modern equipment. I suppose the Usda will hear of this and kill the maret for a few days. Happy planting guys!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Longcreekfarms
Senior Contributor

Re: Corn planter running on my farm

What population are you having him drop it at Don? I'm dragging my planter behind me as I write. I don't know if I'm right or wrong but I cut my pop back on most acres so far. Some at 29k, some at 28, and planting 27 right now. Normally 30-31 on my place. Also going to quit corn and start drilling beans, then go back to corn. Trying to spread pollination out so that it doesn't all fry at the same time this summer.
0 Kudos
OKdon
Senior Contributor

33.5 K is the seeding rate. We have a good moisture profile in our soils currently.

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Hey Don, looks like you better recalibrate your spell checker.  I think I counted at least 3.  Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

As we near the end of April, I'm done with corn as are many of the farmers around eastern Iowa.  Some have started beans.  I have not.  I think I'll wait till the next dry, warm spell which shold be in the first week of May.

0 Kudos