cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tarheel farmer
Contributor

Corn pollinating in North Carolina

My first planted corn (4/11) started pollinating this past week and it has been ideal weather for it. A frontal thunderstorm dumped 5" of rain on Monday and after the front pasted nice cool weather set in. Highs in the low 80's, night time lows in the low to mid 60's.

corn 6-21-2013.jpg

My beans are growing good although planted a little late. Finished up with them 5/31. Tried to spray them yesterday but got raind out.

corn 6-21-2013.jpg

Most of the crops here in Eastern N.C. are looking good although a little behind in places because of a wet early spring. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Re: Corn pollinating in North Carolina

Good to hear things are going well for you tarheel.  Corn and beans both are looking real healthy.  Are those beans planted with a twin row setup?  Looks like you had excellent weed control all season long as well.  Job well done.

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Dam thats  pretty ! 

0 Kudos
JCCWIS
Senior Contributor

Tar heel : Wow ! Whats the pop. on that corn ??  Appears to be alot higher than some posted from the small i state ! lol

Ken...missed your call...I'll catch up later today.    John

0 Kudos
Tarheel farmer
Contributor

Thanks Shaggy,

Yea, thats twin row beans. Got a new Great Plains twin row planter this year and am happy with the results so far. I am on 36' rows and on a raised bed and twin row gives me a way to narrow up the row spacing and still stay on the bed. It's a little hard to see in the pictures but the beans and corn are on a low bed.

I tried some twin row corn this year too. On 36' rows I'm maxing out my population at 30-32K. I think I can get the population up to 36-38K on my good ground with twin row. 

I will see how the twin row corn picks this year and if everything goes as expected I will add tanks to the twin row planter to put out my liquid N and pop-up like on my old planter and go 100% twin row corn next year.

0 Kudos
Tarheel farmer
Contributor

That corn was planted at 30K.

0 Kudos
mike se il
Advisor

Here's a photo from Illinois

Son in law has 25 acres of gravel pit ... literally.  You have to turn on one end or you go in the pit.  He got it planted very early and so far is looking good.  Taken Sunday afternoon June 23

IMG_0775 (Medium).JPG

0 Kudos