cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John_Walter
Advisor

Corn rolling up

West central MN farmer reports: "Corn was rolling up on compacted areas yesterday, 2 more days of hot wind. Sounds odd, but we could use a rain. Spring sins starting to show." Anybody else seen signs of stress?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
BKsandFarmer
Frequent Contributor

Re: Corn rolling up

In my area we only got 2 tenths of an inch of rain last week, corn is just starting to curl in some fields. A couple more days of 90 degree heat will start stressing this crop. I drove down to Wabash Indiana today and saw alot of spotty fields. One might see a great looking field of corn on one side of the road and on the other the worst you have ever seen. It all depends on what date they planted the corn, what type of N used and how well drained the fields are. From about the Michigan line south crops have been beaten by heavy early season rain. If rain shuts off now till August those fields with knee high corn and newlly emerged beans wont yield for much of anything.

0 Kudos
OH Young Farmer
Senior Reader

Drove back from my farm in NE Ohio on Monday to central Maryland.  Took the scenic route through south central PA and central MD since traffic was bad on the interstates.  The corn needs rain and it needed it two weeks ago during the first round of heat we had in the Mid-Atlantic.  The corn was all curled up and looking pale in all the fields I drove by.  There were some no-tilled fields that are hanging in there, but all these days with 100 degree heat are taking its toll.  Some of this corn is starting to tassel. I have never seen entire fields look so bad.  MD, VA and parts of southern PA are very dry.  No chance of rain until the end of the week.  Until then, more 100+ degree heat. 

0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

Seeing some through central and southern Ohio.  What do you guys think will happen in all these fields that are tassling at such different times.   Some of areas of some fields are up to two weeks later than other parts of the same fields

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

It`ll be okay. Farmers used to plant different maturities in each box to extend the time of pollination, some probably still do.

0 Kudos
James22
Senior Contributor

I don't know but going to find out.  Consistent with your observation it is going to be over a two week span.  Some isn't going to yield anything, late tassel and no silk.  I predict the late tassels that have silk will only yield about half normal/good yield.

0 Kudos