cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Cover crop kill

All,

Before this mix of rain/snow hit, I heard some concern about cover crops growing so large there were concerns it would be hard to kill so the main crop could grow. Have there been any concerns in your area?

Best,

Gil Gullickson

Crops Technology Editor

Successful Farming 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Cover crop kill

There is always that concern terminating winter rye in the Spring.  I sprayed my 1 to 2 foot tall rye 9 days ago with 40oz when  it was sunny and temp near 70*.  Clouds, cold temps, and rain soon came.  It has stopped growing and is slowly turning pale.  A slow death but I think I'm ok.  I plan to no-til beans into it next week.  The sun is now shining. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Reader

I started notilling 10 years ago. My early experience was spraying glyfosate on waist high rye. It grew a little higher before dying. I was concerned, having a JD 7000 converted to notill, but did the job fine. Only issue was wrapping on the marker. By the time the corn was about 6" high the rye virtually disappeared. I was amazed.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

cowzout - Do you normally what is your rotation?  soybeans - winter rye cover - corn?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Reader

Am a dairy farm. Corn silage with cover crop 2-5 years then hay crop for 5-10 years. Have also used oats and wheat for cover, sometimes cutting for forage before corn planting. No harvested grains in my rotation.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

The beans are planted-then 1.5 " of rain.   The rye is very dead.  Hope nobody tosses a cigarette. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

I did this last year. The rye killed but I got some volunteer back.  I sprayed on a good day late in March.  Seemed optimal for a while.

0 Kudos