Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Crop Photo's 6-9-2013

Olmitz Wheat 6-9-2013.jpg

The wheat is starting to ripen.  Checked several heads from

several fields today and all showed lots of kernels.

Shed Oats 6-9-2013.jpg

The oats is headed as well, probably meet Mr. Swather within a few days.

Shed Corn 6-9-2013.jpg

Olmitz Corn 6-9-2013.jpg

Shed Corn CU 6-9-2013.jpg

Corn planted 4-21-2013, so far so good.  Temps forecasted to be

100+ several days this week, we'll see how long it stays green.

Olmitz Milo 6-9-2013.jpg

Olmitz Milo CU 6-9-2013.jpg

Milo planted 5-23-2013

Pasture 6-9-2013.jpg

Pastures growing well and continue to improve.  We will need more

rain to keep up with the temperature forecast.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Blacksandfarmer
Veteran Advisor

Re: Crop Photo's 6-9-2013

Shaggy, your crops are looking good. What is your chief crop, corn or wheat? I have never raised wheat but sometimes I think about going to a wheat, soybean rotation. The past two years have been pretty rough for raising corn around here. 

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Well I'm not sure, but I'll give you my best guess, Without a doubt it isn't corn, this is the first year I ever planted any acres of significance. Years ago I would have said wheat with a high degree of certainty, but that was because it held a price premium to milo, that isn't necessarily the case today. For those that don't know, milo has many of the same uses as corn, so the development of new industries has built a premium into that commodity as well. As far as cash is concerned, I would say wheat & milo are almost on a level playing field. Many producers in this area raise milo for feed in their own livestock facilities, so more milo is raised than is marketed, where as wheat for the most part gets marketed bushel for bushel for what is produced. I guess to give you a straight answer, wheat and milo at this time are equal.
0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Shaggy that hot weather will make that corn root on down - thats a good thing . Looks good !

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Thanks man, I've got to retrain my brain from planting to harvesting now. With our 10 day forecast, wheat harvest will approach rapidly. I used to say it would sneak up on us, but an old timer once told me that isn't the case with wheat harvest. His quote was something along this line "We've been planning on a mid to late June harvest since last September, what part of that is sneaking up on you". After being corrected, I've changed my terminology. Have a good one, I'm off to insurance office to report acres.
0 Kudos