cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Custom Farming

I had a person approach me about information on custom farming, does anyone know how this works?  Anyone have their ground farmed this way or perhaps you do this for another individual?

0 Kudos
17 Replies
clayton58
Veteran Advisor

Re: Custom Farming

I do some custom farming, main;y seeding with a no-till air seeder.  I charge by the acre, the customer is responsible to provide/pay for seed andfertilizer , although I work with their supplier on logistics, timing., etc.  If you do provide management, you could possibly charge a fee for that, as well as services provided.   Just make a deal that meets both parties needs, and negotiate it up front.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

We do the same with sprayer work.  Similar reasoning.  Works well as long as we can be timely for all involved.  Top dressing wheat is one of those things that works pretty well.

It is also a way for younger or smaller farmer to afford better technology or newer equipment.  Works well if there is mutual respect.  I know a man who started farming by custom harvesting and farming in his neighborhood, filling a need for neighbors until he leased or bought enough ground to afford the equipment.

0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

Lots of factors make it tough. You really need to have your costs per acre and costs per hour figured pretty close. When I was in high school I would bale 5 x 4 round bales for $4 per bale. It was all dad's equipment all I paid for was fuel. Still Didn't pay very well in small fields and on poor yields. Seemed like some of those days in third cutting grass hay I drove around all day for a hundred dollars or so.
0 Kudos
JCCWIS
Senior Contributor

Used to do some up here in Nort. Cent. Wi.......corn planting , chisel plowing ,moldboard plowing, hay cutting.....thenMennonites moved in and they only hire their own or will under bid to get more work. They will buy crops from me but hire their own to harvest . May be different in other areas but thats the way it works around here.  John

0 Kudos
Longcreekfarms
Senior Contributor

Same around here John. Mennonites will road a combine for 200 miles for the fuel cost and cut grain for 30 an acre or chop corn at 200 an hour. I think I need to start wearing a black hat if I I can get it done for that!!!
0 Kudos
idalivered
Advisor

My father did this on one farm for years. He and the owner came up with a flat per acre fee to do everything. For example, $100/acre for corn and $70/acre for soys. Not sure what the exact figures were. It included all field operations and anything else like spraying fencerows, picking up rock , and hauling the grain at harvest.

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

On the fixed price per acre, that is only for labor including equipment correct?  All inputs and I mean ALL INPUTS are an additional expense to the land owner correct?

0 Kudos
idalivered
Advisor

included fuel, nothing else. All other inputs were landowner's.

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

That's what I figured Idalivered, thanks for your input.

0 Kudos