cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointing bean yields

In mid September I went field to field estimating yields.  I'm a little over half done and the yields are averaging about 7 BPA less than I figured.   All the rain from late July on sure made them grow but didn't put a lot of yield on.   I looked at a neighboring field as I was thinking of asking him what variety they were.  Well over waist high after drying up.  Some of the taller bean stalks/stems had only 7 or 8 pods.  Others had 5-7" between pods.  Looks are very deceiving on beans this year.  I don't remember a year where actual yield and estimated yield are so far apart.  They sure looked nice though before the leaves fell off.   So far a high of 51 bpa and a low of 38.  Last year was 64 high and 44 low.  I will be getting in later varieties soon.  It'll be intersting to see if that makes a difference.

0 Kudos
4 Replies

Re: Disappointing bean yields

Here in nia the later maturing varieties got hurt more by the sept frost than the usda will acknowledge. No one really will say how they did, just that the frost hurt 'em. I mostly was between 53-56. One farm at 49. Sure the yhield monitor was over 60 alot, but that's the field averages. would have liked more, but got what i got. anyone with a timely thundershower in late july and early august was over 60. Or so i'm told. Winter coming tonight and tomorrow to iowa and mn. good luck to you.

0 Kudos

I have seen a lot of beans that lodged so bad, that they didn't pod hardly at all. I believe it was weak stems caused by late planting..excessive growth..and a badly timed couple of heavy, heavy rains. Yields have been from about 60-61 down to 45 so far...still got a ways to go.

0 Kudos

Just an observation this morning....most, but not all , of the comments here and ag talk say bean yield are not quite anyone looked for or hoped for. Kinda hearignthis for the last 5 weeks. SA is supposed to have a good crop coming, but is is very unlikely that any of their beans will get shipped to fairmont. mn, eagle grove iowa, or bunge over by council bluffs. the report may increase carry out, but we definitley will have a logistical problem. Hang on guys this could take a while, tho.

0 Kudos

Not only are yields off but we're making tire ruts in a mostly no till area.   Most of us don't have the equipment any more to work all our ground on a timely basis next spring.   That and off and on showers.  I got in 2 hours combining yesterday between showers but next 5 days looks good in the forecast.  That should get all or most of the beans done.  I heard corn is in the high 20's low 30's %.  I personally haven't seen any corn off within 25 miles.

0 Kudos