cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you cultivate?

The weed scientists are starting to say that you should consider cultivation in some cases because of the tolerance some weeds are gaining to herbicides.

I just junked out all my clutivators but they weren't much good anyway.  For as long as I'm going to continue farming, I may just live iwith the problem but if I were younger I might think again about getting some iron.

We all know about erosion and the time it takes to cover acres with iron.  But, will we have any choice?  Will you switch to a rotation plan that includes hay/grass or cultivate?

If we cultivate, you can bet we will do it with a big boost from precision ag to cover the acres with speed and without so much fatigue.  Maybe we'll even be cultivating at night. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mvp farms
Veteran Contributor

Re: Do you cultivate?

We cultivate our sugarbeets, sometimes corn, and if we row beans we cultivate the sprayer tracks.

0 Kudos

Yes

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

I cultivate all my corn acres.   I need to cultivate 3/4 of it, for irrigation purposes, so I just as well work at it another day or two, and do it all.  So far, I haven't found any weeds resistant to 'iron', but there are times when I wonder about the crop safety, especially around 3PM after going a few long days.

0 Kudos
k-289
Esteemed Advisor

Wondered when these spray rigs would fizzle ---along with the magic bullets--- although no till in some of the  sandier dryland acres seemed to help as much on yield as the latest highbreds ---

0 Kudos
cowfarmer
Senior Contributor

About 150 acres a year of bottom ground, we see a pretty decent yield bump when we do, our black dirt can get dang tight.

0 Kudos