cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cmg0022

Drilling Soybeans on 7.5's

I just purchased a great plains no-till drill to plant soybeans with. it is a 7006NT and has 7.5 inch spacings. Can someone give me some pointers and such on notilling beans?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Pupdaddy
Advisor

Re: Drilling Soybeans on 7.5's

Best tip..is make sure your opener discs aren't worn out. Getting in the soil is so much harder with worn out discs. Get a measurement of several discs..and ask at your dealer if that's too worn. Next thing is get your burn down chemical applied early..and put a residual in with it. It's much easier to plant in a clean seedbed. With narrow rows like that..a seed rate of 180,000/acre is probably the thickest you should go...unless it's March 20th..and you're just itchin' to try it out. Early planted beans won't emerge as well..and you're going to lose a few plants to disease. Some guys are going to rates as low as 140,000/acre in some instances...but for a guy just starting out..you better use more seed for insurance. Fertilizer is a toss up...with the prices we have this year..a shot of potash might not be a bad idea. If you haven't got a lot of money though...and the soil test levels aren't extremely low....you could get by without it.

Realize with these drills..you will probably see a few beans laying on top of the ground when you get through drilling..primarily because the cornstalks bounce the openers around. Drilling slower will help that somewhat...but everyone knows guys who drill like they're heading to a fire.

Pupdaddy
Advisor

I actually forgot one of the best tips I've ever been given. Drill when you can hear the stalks "popping" behind the tractor. That means..don't get started early in the morning with wet, dew covered stalks. If you have anything else to do early in the morning..go do it...and wait till it dries out. When you go down your rows with the drill..you might have to open up the back window of your tractor to hear it...but there is a distinct popping noise that dry stalks make when they are being cut and run over...you'll learn to recognize it very quickly.

0 Kudos
Pat in CMO
Contributor

Pupdaddy nailed it pretty good. Follow that advice and you'll be god to go.  Patrick

0 Kudos
littlestarterfarmer
Frequent Contributor

We have been drilling soybeans on 7.5" centers for several years now. We have been running in the 125000 pop range. The biggest problem i have seen is trying to get the spaceings right. A drill isnt as precise as a planter. So we might have 2 beans right next to each other and then have a foot towards the next one. But even so we have gotten even ground coverage. Ovearll i have been impressed with them. We spray once pre-plant and then once post-plant and by that time the beans are covering the ground and you never see another weed. Pretty easy to harvest too.

As far as fertilizer we dont apply any, just let the Rhibozomes do their thing.

Ive never heard of the drilling while its to damp thing, i havent noticed a difference. But i would agree with the disc openers.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
littlestarterfarmer
Frequent Contributor

I re-read through Pup-daddys comment. I should say we have never drilled through corn stalks before as we dont raise corn, but i did buy some ground with corn on it. Ill have to keep your advice in mind. I have thought about raising the rates a smidge to make up for those that dont make it in.

Course if it dont rain, it wont make a difference anyway........

0 Kudos
James22
Frequent Contributor

Many times I've noticed individuals complain about spacing, not sure if they are perceived or actual.  It just hasn't been an issue whether I've used the fluted feed or double run drill, although the double run is acknowledged to be better.   The only gaps I've seen is when  stopping and restarting and this certainly will produce a voided area.  If necessary to stop, I back up a foot or so before continuing.  Also suggest not sowing too fast.   For a few years someone was running custom work at around 10 MPH and the results weren't pretty.  Only lasted a couple of years before he wasn't doing any custom work.

0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

Your soil type determines the population rate.  In our heavy clay we do 200K with a drill and 180K with a 15" planter.  I check the depth on the hardest part of the field, usually the ends, and adjust for 1" minimum depth.  With a drill your depth will vary greatly.  Soil type and how full the seed box is all will affect the depth.  Definitely follow the advice on not planting in wet corn stubble, or bean stubble either.  When you plant in corn stubble with a Great Plains drill the stubble should  look to be pulverized when you are finished.  I never did have any luck no tilling into wheat stubble.  It just wouldn't dry out and the seed trench looked like I was planting in cheese.

0 Kudos