cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Drought Broken?

What do you all think, drought broken yet?  50MPH+ winds, probably wont be as much wheat left when the dust settles.

Dust.jpg

Dust1.jpg

Dust2.jpg

Dust3.jpg

Dust4.jpg

At least the stubble fields help to keep the dirt from blowing in places.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Husker-J
Senior Contributor

Re: Drought Broken?

Shaggy, I saw some of your dirt go by.  If you want it back, maybe check the Dakotas.   Yesterday I had to run to town for some errands, and the wind really came up while I was there.   On the way home, I remember cresting the first big hill, and thinking, 'OH NO, a (really big) FIRE somewhere!', but as I was driving, I went through it, and smelled no smoke, just dust.  From horizon to horizon, and a ring around the sun.

Checked out my fields on the way home, nothing blowing off of them.   Don't like to brag on myself much, but my farming practices seems to have kept all my dirt in place.   In fact, I probably gained a bit of topsoil, as the stubble on my fields had gotten 'dirty'.  Now all I need is moisture to get it to stick to the dirt I already have.  Talking 80-90% chance of moisture in the next 24 hours.   Up to a whopping 0.15" total, in a mix of rain and snow.   Good thing I still have the chains on the loader tractor, LOL!

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

I think some of the dirt is already coming back today Husker. Winds are howling out of the NW, but not nearly as strong as they were southerly yesterday. Like you, I checked my ground yesterday and everything was staying put and not blowing way. Seems like the no-till payed off yesterday.

Don't be so stingy with all that moisture and send a little our way. We've got a slim chance the next few days but nothing to promising.
0 Kudos
Husker-J
Senior Contributor

2 inches of snow, I'll be sure to send any excess runoff your way, LOL.

0 Kudos
elcheapo
Senior Advisor

They had a "dust storm warning" out around
hill city the other day. Don't remember seeing
That come off wx wire before. Visibility down
To almost zero from there to Colby

Possibly of hail tomarrow.....if I insure
In the morning, can I collect on 2 inch
Tall wheat?
0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Good luck, they'll probably tell you that the crop is to young to abandon this early.

0 Kudos