cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

EPA Says Neonicitinoid Soybean Treatments Worth Little

Who needs the USDA?  The EPA will take care of all  your agronomy questions.

The EPA has put out a paper that says you only make about $6/acre on neonicitinoid seed treatments compared with a foliar spray if required.  They base that on a $14 cost for spraying.  Can you spray beans for $14/acre?  Is there any value in the convenience of applying a preventive treatment while planting as opposed to as separate sprayer pass?

There is little doubt that the bee lovers will use this study as a reason to prohibit using neonicitinoid seed treatmetns.

http://www2.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2014-10/documents/benefits_of_neonicotinoid_seed_treatmen...

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: EPA Says Neonicitinoid Soybean Treatments Worth Little

Out of mild curiosity and on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being on par with your confidence in the law of gravity and 1 being your hesitancy to purchase a perpetual motion machine at the local Farm&Fleet; how much do you trust the science coming out of the EPA or USDA these days?

I am not trying to be rhetorical here. I am just interested in learning whether there is a confidence gap between the users in the field and the government experts in Washington...and points beyond. Any thoughts?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

They (EPA,USDA) have agendas, and political priorities, that do not necessarily correlate with local on-farm economics.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

I'm going to say that i can live without them. We very rarely have bean leaf beetles and i think that they are the primary target of the seed treatment chems.I still want the fungicide treatments for seedling diseases. I can spray for maybe $4 (product) on the rare occasion that i have an issue. i say skip the neonic's. and cut the price.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Good post there Jim -  I will tell you guys what I have seen here on my farm - That is all I can talk aout becasue there are different reasons for what we do -

I have used insecticides on beans the last few years - as a test - My good friend and neighbor had tryed it first , and we did spend a lot ot time walking the field that year checking it out . It  wa sunbelieveable the difference in the beans -- between what had it on - vs - what didn't , could track it right to the row - treated beans were taller - a pretty green - just looked healthier .

On my trials - I saw the same thing - but there was NO yield benifits on the monitor -  My neighbor and I both fealt that it was important to keep the plants as healthy as possible - would = better yields , not so it appears .

Reason are the same as stated in Jims article - the yield damaging pests come in later in the season - not at planting and by the time that time rolls around - then the seed treatment is gone .

As far as the cost - The seed treatment is over priced !!!!!!!!!!!! lets make that WAY over priced as to the over the top app. I did not spry any insecticides last year - but the year before - the cost of folair app - in product would run around 2.75 to 3.25 - plus your app cost = 5,25 to 6.00 bucks - In my on farm trails _ i have found from 1.2 to 2.6 bpa increase in useing a folair incesticide - for no reason to spray = as I had no target - just cleaning up the field = kill them all .

After reading the article - I find it hard to believe that somebody from the EPA really wrote it !!!!!!!!! It reads more like a study from a land grant school -  I have read studies from Purdue that - in there findings - that a seed aplied insecticides had little benifits , much as the same as the article stated .

Yes - I would think that this article - from the EPA - will have some impact on the use of the insecticides - in seed treatments .

Well thats my 2 cents -- lol

Have a good one !

Ken

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

The thing that stands out to me is the seed treatments for the most part only kill the insects that actually feed on the plants. Spraying will kill all suceptible insects in the field even the beneficial ones.  Patrick

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Your 1000 % right Pat   

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Pat - Know I have a minute to reply to your above post - you are right in you smoke the good as well as the bad bugs with a over the top - but in the article - really what benifits are you really getting in using a seed treatment ? Studies have shown that in the use of treatments on corn - that the insecticide -- threw the use of talic can have bad effects on bee's - As in beans - the use of it really don't have much effect on the crop out come . As with a over the top - then thats where IPM comes in - but to me - Knowing what you are looking for - good and bad bugs along with the thresholds - good and bad - is the key . I have seen fields sprayed with the shotgun approach - and then they had to respray for that fact , when all they needed to do was to watch for a few days and see if numbers were on the increase or not .

Enjoy reading your posts on crops on here .

Ken

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Maybe the answer is some type of filter to trap the talc dust and insecticide on the vacuum exhaust of the planters. I still use an old finger pick-up planter and a 750 box drill, so I don't have to worry about the dust in the vac exhaust. I too have seen the guys that spray insecticide with their weed control pass have to spray for insects later in the season where neighbors who used no insecticide had no problems.  Patrick

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I agree that "Spraying will kill all suceptible insects in the field even the beneficial ones".

0 Kudos