cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Earliest I can ever remember

I finished planting all of my grain sorghum crop yesterday afternoon May 15.  That is a full 5 weeks ahead of last year, and the earliest I can ever remember.  Wheat harvest might start sometime during the last week of May in Central Kansas, also the earliest I can ever remember.  This is truly shaping up to be a strange year.  Extremely dry here, way worse than last year at this same time.

0 Kudos
2 Replies

Re: Earliest I can ever remember

How is the central kansas wheat crop? How much will go to feedlots and how much will be milling quality? We here about wheat guys planting double crop soybeans. do you have that option with your limited rainfall? thanks

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Re: Earliest I can ever remember

Remarkably, the wheat crop is hanging on.  I stopped the planter several times in different locations to walk thru the wheat fields and most locations have very large heads that are filling with grain nicely.  As long as we can keep the temperature below 100, I believe we shouldn't have much of a shriveling problem.  We have noticed a few producers that have already swathed some patches, but most of these farmers aren't what I would call top producers, very little fertilizer, no weed control, and even drilling a month to 6 weeks later than the majority.  Overall, I believe most harvested acres will be milling quality, but we won't know for sure until we get it cut.

There are always a few producers who attempt to double crop soybeans, but I would venture to say unless we get some significant moisture during the next month, most of the double crop beans will have a hard time germinating.  I was planning on a few acres, but after scouting a few locations, I won't be trying it this year.  Possible some type of a cover crop blend would be a better option this year. 

0 Kudos