cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Ecin, What do we do for corn hybrids??

We witnessed a wreck in corn this year.  Nearly every trait claimed saw some faliure and stalk deteriation was rapid.  Done by Oct 24 and couldn't cut fast enough.  Half the crop harvested below 13 moisture..... 30bu. below normal yields.... white mold in most fields...

Primarily Pioneer and some Monsanto type varieties... 

Getting lots of pressure to sign on for the 2017 order for seed... not ready to go there yet....

Where do we go from here??

i know KS west had a down year.  Hearing rumors of some demanding some money back on seed...and getting some..

Anybody feeling similar.....??

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Re: Ecin, What do we do for corn hybrids??

sw ---- That may be the question of the year !  I really don't know to tell you the truth - I see a lot of different corn around here - and as you said - I think all has had some degree of problems .

Now for this season here - as I seen for my area - It was a wild weather year - wet start - and it kept raining for most of the season - Now at the time of tassel - the disease pressure was for the most part held  a bay  - But the weather did not change ! Hot , Humid , rain and lets add some pretty foggy morning - A perfect storm for disease - so to speak - yet at decision time for a app of fungicide - there was just not enough to pull the trigger - just saying - here for a chopper I was quoted 30 to 32 bucks an acre , about the same for a plane too . The disease's exploded and it was to late to spray - yet in our fungicide test plot - we had a 10 bpa bump up - this was sprayed at V-8-9 for this plot to see if there was a advantage to a early app . which this year , showed a nice bump in bus.  I had one field that got hit hard - I got after it pretty quick - it was going down and you know - it wasn't going to get any better - it was my worse field = 160 and some change - I had another that I sprayed with the same spray as the plot - on the same farm - it yielded 194 ! and it was standing !!!!! 

Years like this don't happen every year - maybe once every 10 - 15 years - Aug - for the most part turns off hot and dry and the disease's there - well there for the most part not a problem . So that is one thing I will keep in mind this fall when looking at the varieties .

The big problem will be the bug insect problem , That is in God's hands - and the reseachers  - I will share one thing I learned back 5 or 6  years ago  - I was attending a CCA class at Indy - The speaker was talking about this vary thing we are seeing - They were worried about volunteer corn in beans - they still had a small amount of the cry1 in the plant from the year before - it would NOT be strong enough to kill the bugs - yet they had found that the bugs - threw testing -  they were building a resistance to it - now ??? Bing go ! It is happening .

now to give you Ken's Idea of the corn problem - We can not do much about the problem at hand at this time from the seed companies till they come up with something new - yet -------- WE can help ourselves - We have grown soft ! And it was easy to do the past few years - just spray our crops with round up - and we have the bug traits - just plant - go to the fairs and then harvest ! We need to get back to the basic's of good production farming - Get re-educated on insect's - what to look for - same on plant disease's -  You can controll WBC - IF you catch them right - they lay there eggs on the top of corn leafs - then hatch and crawl down to the main plant - which at the time - your screwed for any or much of controll - timing is everything and knowledge of what and when to look for .

I am in the business - I am VERY small - yet I plan to pick up as many ( Top notch ) programs this winter - AS I can , I have to got soft in some area's . If I was a BTO - I would find some one that works for you - that has a love of this type work - if they don't it won't work - and send them to , as I said - top of the line programs - and then turn them lose next spring - We will be the safe gaurd of our own crops - Will it pay ? I think in ace's !

Ken

Iowastudent
Frequent Contributor

Why is it always the seeds fault?  Are you 100% certain your soils had every nutrient need for the proper growing season?  What are you going to do next, demand money back from mother nature as well? 

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Maybe you should go back and re-read the above post on CRY1 - then come back with a better reply than you posted up - The problem is the -- SEED companies are -- SELLING - a product - that they --- Claim that controll's but don't .

Ken

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Gee Iwoastudent,  get a grip on the subject.  

Dupont/Pioneer sold seed varieties for a price.  Then added traits to that variety-- in this case an event that kills corn boer, ear worm and root worm.  In doing so they charged an additional sum of $$ per bag for that trait.  But in reality that trait was not there....never repelled/killed/discouraged any of the bug varieties claimed on the tag....

Now it is bad enough when usda comes along and allows them to have a 5% refuge in a bag... so 1 bag in every 20 should be without a tech fee but no.... it becomes a 5% bonus to the seed company charging tech fee on every pound of seed(even though that 5% doesn't even have to be the same genetics.... and at Ag Venture Nebraska it is not the same.. or even comparable)

But in this case we are seeing 80% refuge in the bag.... that is fraud....But we are trying to be kind and assume that the traits are just not working as well as they have in the past...... Unfortunately if Pioneer knows they don't work as well as they have for the last 20 years but continues to claim they will so they can continue to charge double the value for the seed......that is still FRAUD.

But our concern is way beyond the money and not concerned with drumming up another lawyer frenzy like land grant colleges promote in marketing the Syngenta case.  We are addressing the deaper question..... Before traits and biotech we were still selecting hybrids by natural trait selection, looking for natural resistance to disease and insect infestations. (Basically the same process just much slower)..... Hybrids that were prefered for that natural strength had long lives.  It was not uncommon for popular varieties to be around for 20-30 years.  Until a better proforming variety was bred... We knew the strengths and weaknesses of the tried and true lineups from each company...

When the natural selection process got sped up..... Plants could be reproduced from tissue rather than mature seed...... the process went much faster .... allowing researchers to bring new breeds on line much faster.  So the older popular varieties are being brought in line in 2-3 years rather than 10-12 years... 

So here we are with most popular varieties less than two years old and remove the tech traits... what are their strong points and weak points ...... who knows... and the companies that control them are not willing to sell them without selling their washed up traits.

Someone will step up and sell affordable corn seed.......... maybe China?  Or Walmart?

elcheapo
Senior Advisor

Announcement

El Cheapo's Legal group announces a class action aginst mother nature.

"it's not nice to fool mother nature"

0 Kudos
k-289
Esteemed Advisor

What an  ''' Intersting  Topic '''' that has surfaced -  2016  the year  of  anxiety  I  Guess  ?  

0 Kudos
k-289
Esteemed Advisor

Iowastudent  - One variety showed  ''' moderate '''  Tassel Ears consitantly through the field  - others didn't   ? ?

0 Kudos
JimMeade
Veteran Advisor

There was some corn that went down around eastern Iowa but the majority of it stood well and was harvested on time.  More and more corn is getting a prophylactic fungicide treatment, probably not a good idea, we farmers don't learn well, but it's happening more and more.

0 Kudos