cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Contributor

Fall Tillage

Given the fact that we had cracks as deep & wide in the ground as this summer should a guy make any changes to fall tillage this year, seems to me mother nature did more for compaction elimination than we ever could or do you go ahead & rip it so it catches every drop of water & holds it?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Fall Tillage

My agronomist told me the corn extracted so much microscopic water from the soil surface causing it to get so hard that we will probably need to wait until we get some moisture so we can pull the chisel thru it.  Just try to take a spade to the ground.  It will just bounce off the surface like you are digging concrete.  Chiseling it before we get some rain will just wear the points excessively fast and leave large chunks of dirt behind the chisel.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Don't worry, as soon as we start harvest the rains will come. It always works that way. Probably have to mud it out.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I don't know about there, but it will take alot of rain before I have to mud anything out. I can dig down 3 feet and not find moisture. Had a friend of mine dug down 25 ft (he runs a high hoe) and said there was no water. I heard we will need 18 inches just to replinish the subsoil.

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

I agree we are still way behind on water, all ponds in this area are several feet below overflow pipes. But Steeringwheel has a good point the monsoon season could cut loose anytime & get just as wet as it is dry which would be the perfect ending to terrible year, what's worse than harvesting a short crop,,, doing it in the mud! My problem with skipping fall tillage is how to handle it in the spring, I have about 5 hours in the spring where bean stubble works nice with the finisher then it's to hard & before that it's way to wet.

0 Kudos