cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Farm Runoff Blamed For Algae Bloom

On a recent trip I was strolling through a condo neighborhood and noticed that their lawn care operator had spread dry fertilizer all over the parking lot. Looked to my eye like about 400#/acre of dry kind of spread (you can't spbroadcast spread on little lots and strips, period). First rain that's going into the storm sewer and then to the outlet. Don't know about the horrible no good terrible gubmint doing something about it but that isn't right, at all.

Have seen the same from homeowners- all they'd have to do is take 5 minutes to sweep it up and run it back through the spreader. In that case I actually beleive most would if appropriately educated. Not sure what to think of the commercial operator who ought to know better.

Some form of regulation is called for, imho, but it doesn't change ag's contribution to the problem.

Yes, lawn and turf care needs some sort of regulation (gasp, becasue then what about ag?).

Also need a whole lot of money to fix storm sewers and a lot of those are in those horrible, terrible no good cities that are broke and where everybody is lazy and corrupt. Another toughie.

On ag- I'll go back to buffers as the single best practice.

0 Kudos
JacobMcCandless
Senior Contributor

Buffer strips are good especially for erosion control.  To stop fertilizer loss, it sort of implies that farmers are sloppy, incompetent and excessive.  Infrastructure devlopment may not be 100% in some instances.

I still think there is a misconception regarding halide chemistry:  What it is.  How long it "persists" in the enviroment.  What the "breakdown" mechanisms are.

The lack of knowledge decreases responsiblity.  Phosphates are a limiting nutrient and non-toxic or toxic organisms will increase accordingly.

0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

Getting back to the algae blooms here in my state the one lake has no homes or farms just forest in its watershed. That lake having the same algae as the others took all blame out of the equation for everybody until someone figures out what really caused it.
0 Kudos

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/publications/waters/buffer_strips.pdf

"Buffers may intercept or
remove pollutants and sediment in the
following percentages from runoff: 50
percent or more of nutrients and pesticides, 60 percent or more of some pathogens, and 75 percent or more of sediment"

0 Kudos