cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Fertilizer Prices

What are your local fertilizer prices like? I priced some fertilizer today. I haven't bought any yet. Brice Knorr of Farm Futures seems to think fert prices will edge higher soon. What do you think? I'm more careful about fertilizer spending this year (i.e no snake oils) more than I have been since I started farming.  Fertilizer prices are higher this year than last. My local prices look like this.

Potash $468/ton

Urea $475-$548/ton

UAN $343/ton

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Fertilizer Prices

Potash $440   32%  $340    Urea $486     MAP    $592         And I guarantee those prices with come down, don`t ask how I know but those prices will be much cheaper this spring    Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

I would guess with bA. this 25 cent drop in the corn market may harden the resolve of the people that could go either way on corn or beans. they'll stay out of corn because of higher production costs(fertilizer). It wil be VERY interesting to watch. the companies that said the farmers will eventually have to step up are being run by people that were in diapers in the 80's. Watch us NOT spend money.  I believe i remember how to do that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Yes Ida, one would think that if you have the resolve to wait until the day before planting, there might be a "fire sale" on fertilizer especially P and K.  However fertilizer retailers got burnt with too much high priced inventory on hand, I don`t think they`ll repeat that mistake, so fertilizer might get a little cheaper, but when the inventory is gone, it`s gone.  I`ve tried to spread ever acre every year and keep my soil tests up, however this year I bought the bare minimum to get by on the corn acres and the bean acres will have to fend for themselves.  Next year I`ll make up the difference and fertilzer will reflect crop prices better....or I`ll be broke, one or the other   Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

BA I made the same decision when it comes to beans (can't raise a good corn crop without fertilizer). My soil tests are medium to high in P and K. I have some lime to spread wich will eat away at the budget. If I have any money left to feed soybeans I will. One fertilizer supplier told me yesterday that these fertilizer companies will not make a surplus this year; they don't want to get burned on over production. I have made a bare bones production budget this year.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

hey Blacksandfarmer, I think that is a wise choice.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

When it comes.to.Nitrogen and beans, remember that excess N in the soil makes the nodules get lazy and not produce much.  You almost want to make the beans fight to survive early on so they'll push out extensive roots with lots of nodules.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

BA, alot of inputs "might" back up, but one i'm curious about is shop time at farm equipment dealers. Does that ever go down?? Hard to beat that , because they can just "fudge" on the time sheet. Also, I plant alot of dekalb, but they are being very stubborn about holding the line on prices. For me even pioneer was less. I've gotten in the habit of calling jd for parts prices and then checking other places like competing dealers, farm supply store in bancroft, and shoup. I'm sure they get sick of checking, but i guess they can say "we don't do that".

Told the local forest city dentist office "you can clean my teeth, but no exam. they said "what?" Me , "you heard me. Have you seen the price of corn? We don't have to do an exam every 6 months. Just the cleaning for now." they did that and it was a saving. I will have another exam in 6 months. When i left, i'm sure they thought "what a jacka$$".

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I'm a bit curious, how does one clean your teeth without examining them?  Seems as exams are visual as is cleaning.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

cleaning is hygenist. exam is dentist. separate charge for each operation.

0 Kudos