cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
annammcconnel

Fertilizer - do you apply it in the fall or spring?

Many farmers have different ideas on fertilizer application, but my question for you is when are you applying anhydrous ammonia?

Are you applying it in the fall or in the spring and why? 

Thanks for your help! I'm curious to hear your opinions.

Anna

0 Kudos
5 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Fertilizer - do you apply it in the fall or spring?

I`ve never used NH3, I only use liquid 28 or 32 or the dry urea, AMS and that is in the spring.  If I ever used AA it would be to side-dress, but I don`t ever see using it. Some use AA in the fall to get a jump on spring work.

0 Kudos
hardnox
Advisor

As per the plan to live through leaner times that I put forth a couple years ago, NH3 sidedress only.

Problem is as large operators control 80-90% of the land they can't afford the risk of not getting it on.

That's a big structural issue for "agriculture" as matters like the DM waterworks suit come up.

0 Kudos
tree fmr
Advisor

Don't use it, apply like BA does. We are all notill, NH3 we feel kills worms which are a much needed part of our operation.
0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

All 28 here. Split application, 20/gallon with pre-emerg chemical, and 45 gallon sidedressed.
0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

I like NH3 but quit using it when I downsized my tractors.  Now, I use 28%.  Some on with herbicide and the rest on when corn is up.  This is a little more expensive and involves two trips, but the herbicide trip is one I'd make anyway and I'd have to make at least one fertilizer tirp so it's no more work.  

I own and operate the equipment so my expense there is minimal.  28% is probably safer than NH3 but that has never been an issue with me.  I put it on wiht my sprayer.

I can buy 28% throughout the year.  Storage is somewhat of an issue but I feel I have more flexibiolty in setting the price with 28% than I do with NH3.

0 Kudos