cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Field Trials

Is anyone planning to conduct a field trial this spring? I know a few farmers want to test higher plant populations. What else would be valuable to test in 2015?

I wrote an article on how to conduct your own field trial - you can read it here. In the article, Richard Davis, a USDA-ARS research plant pathologist, says it's important to replicate the treatments. When you test a new product or practice, do you replicate the treatment or do you only have one test strip?

Thanks!

Kacey

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Field Trials

No trials on my farm.  I'm afraid if we don't start to receive some rain soon all results will be the same.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

I did population trials for 4 years. Located at I57 & I70  I found out yields increase up to 42,000. But best benefit was up to 38,000. The biggest problem - standing.  High yielding corn picking up off the ground makes a Bad day. I'm happy at 32,000. Still averaged 240+ whole farm avg.

We repelcated it 3 times each year.  Each identical strips over 1/2 acre each (6 rows 1400 ft long)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

To my shame, my precision ag efforts have not gone into field trials.  I think they are valuable. 

Here are my excuses - I don't say they are all valid:

I'm a small farmer and am not sure field trials would pay off

Seed varieties change so often that what I prove after two years may not even be sold the third year

It takes a lot of trouble set up and execute the trials well

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Yes - This year we will be doing another on farm N plot - this will be the third year working with Purdue with this .

It has been VERY interesting working with them on this = learn a lot . Along with appling different rates - we also test timing of app. and affect on yield .

Last year - we also had a Fungicide plot with Kiersten Wise from Purdue , plan is to have another one this year .

Maybe ? be adding a soybean plot this year with them too - that one is still up in th air .

Will add that I'm also a small farmer in todays world - but find the reseach very interesting - the data is not only helping me out - but others as well .  The bestest problem - for me is - that after the plots are harvested - I have more questions than answers -  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

ECIN - You'll have to let me know the results of your nitrogen and fungicide plots. On your N plots, are you trying variable rate as well?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the information. It sounds like strips are the easiest for farmers to use. Glad you had success with the trials.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Jim - I agree. It takes a lot of effort to have a successful trial. It's always interesting to see where farmers get purchasing information from. Thanks for your input.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

On our 4 year N trial, we did 0 N , 100, 150, 150 with 75 side dress and 210. 210 was the best followed by 150 + 75 sidedress. Sidedress was done at 5 collar. If I was to do one today. I would do sidedress 125 # urea with agritain at v9 to v11. We been doing late application with great success . 30+ gains. Using JD (hi-boy) with box spreader
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

mjnie- Can I ask what state your from ? Your study compares very close to the Purdue study , the only thing different is that we replicate ours 6 times and that we only go down to 90# - I agree that we should problably should go down to the 0# but that would be a very bigh hit in yield and the plot is large . We are about the same = the 210 rate was top's - but I have been doing a split app of 90# - first at V-5 or 6 - then again at V 8- 10 - . We also put down 31 units at planting time - this year is was with the sprayer - because the  pump on the planter blew up in the first 200 feet .

I --- for some reason can not post up my results from my e-mails from Purdue - But still working on what I'm doing wrong here  Smiley Happy

As far as variable rate - I had taked to Bob about a month ago about adding that to our plot this year - he had told me that they had been checking that out already and have found no advanage to it yet - as for me - most of my ground is cosby , brookston - they ran a check on mine and found the same results - there was really no difference in rates and yields between the 2 soils - very interesting to me . This is just one thing I have learned from doing this work - well worth the time !

Also - the results on the fungicide plot was to test out a pretty new product call fortix - spray it on at V-5 for season long controll of disease - to me - a pretty bold statement - Sprayed it on at V-7 because of wet ground - the hybrid had a very good disease package to it - so really what we were testing was - the plant health issue to help out the yield - results ? no advanage to using it . Same problem - with this - I can't post up Kierstens results - Maybe I can e-mail them to Gil and he can post up the results .

Have a great day !

Ken

0 Kudos