cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marketeye
Veteran Advisor

Fieldwork flourishes

Just got a note from a friend that works in northcentral Iowa. He says fieldwork involves a little bit of everything right now. Some ripping and discing are going on. Some spring anhydrous is being applied too. "Within the next two weeks, we'll have our liquid floaters out and running full bore," he says. "By April 15, corn should be in the ground. And by the last week of April, a good handle on soybeans will be had. There's not a lot of dry fertilizer going on, maybe 1,000 acres."

Mike

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Mike M2692830
Senior Contributor

Re: Fieldwork flourishes

Our local coop agronomist told us that they will begin with 32% and pre's next week. Not much to do in the field until then with the time allowed last fall. Some of the corn on corn ground will get knocked down for the liquid to be applied so that will probably get the wheels turning quite a bit. Since we have decided that our North Central Iowa area is the center of the universe(Woden), I would guess that progress all over the nation will be compared to our's. Probably throw the whole report on Friday into a tail spin. I don't see much corn planted around here until insurance date allows(April 10th I think)...MikeM

0 Kudos
idalivered
Advisor

One guy puttin' treflan on.

0 Kudos
Mike M2692830
Senior Contributor

The same guy who still cultivates and makes his neighbors feel bad..for just a moment.....MikeM

0 Kudos
idalivered
Advisor

Yup! It's agood thing he didn;'t start farming with an M farmall, he'd still be using that too. The weather is great, many people have mowed lawn when normally we are still scooping snow. We need to be sure and tell the "snowbirds" how great northern iowa winters are and what they missed out on! Wouldn't  It would be really fun to have a small field to plant in march as an experiment.

0 Kudos
jrsiajdranch
Veteran Advisor

Alfalfa will be planted today. You guys are way behind! LOL

0 Kudos
John_Walter
Advisor

Too darn dry?

Over the weekend, drove from Des Moines to Kearney, Nebraska and back, about 325 miles one way.  Hardly a wheel turning, though you could see a few fields here and there that had been worked. Saw a total of two rigs actually running.  My main impression was how dry it is everywhere. Nothing original about that, I guess, but I wonder if farmers further west have been resisting field work because it is so darn dry?

- John

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Re: Too darn dry?

That's my story, although they are talking a chance of rain overnight.

I furrow irrigate, and must do some sort of tillage, to upkeep the ridges.  Since I farm with my brother, I plan to have him go a few hours ahead of the planter, to save all the moisture I can.

I have been walking fence, and if you are in an area that didn't catch snow, I'd say around here, you'd get halfway down, and hit dirt so dry, it is hard to get it out of the bottom of the hole.  Normally, you only hit dirt that dry at the very bottom of only a very few holes.

I'm in Central Nebraska, East end of Custer County (the big one in the middle)

0 Kudos