cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

First wheat crop and I'm starting to question a couple things

The few farmers that have wheat around here (extreme southern Ohio) always bale the straw. I'm trying to figure what straw is worth. Looks like it is worth over $100 per acre just in fertilizer removal. Not to mention the added benifit of the organic matter. So what does that mean per bale. Second: do I risk not applying fungicide. My agronomist says now is the time in this area. Some of these fields have never had wheat, some haven't had it for over ten years, and some have had barley a few years ago. Also have heard that our area is known for having a lot of wheat fungus problems. It's usually pretty humid here in June and July. The only reason I'm thinking about not applying fungicide is that I feel like this crop has nickel and dimed me to death. Even with today's prices I'm going to have to beat our county average yield to turn a profit.
0 Kudos
11 Replies
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Re: First wheat crop and I'm starting to question a couple things

Oh boy buck - GOOD questions here !

i will start with the fungicide first --  I don't think you can look at it as a nickel and dime deal when raising a crop - what is the potential ? Good stand ? Or not ?  I would guess you would have it flown on - I would guess around 20 to 25 an acre to spray --   the most important thing is for you to check your own wheat for problems! Don't just do it because the rep sez this is the time to do it .  I will say that wheat and be made or lost with disease problems .

2 . Its been 22 years since I raised wheat - but back then - I sold a chit load of straw -- cut low - and back then could get a hundred bales an acre - --- so at a hundred for fert loss - theres a buck , then add your time and labor for baleing and the cost of doing it . Should be pretty easy to figure that out , but NOT the orgaic matter .

3 Back to the fungicide - Hot and Humid is a breeding ground for big problems

best of luck

0 Kudos
farmerguy89
Advisor

Ok buck. Don't grow spring wheat, unless you frost seed.Only winter, and find end users. Don't get raped by elevators.

You are just south of me. We apply two fungicides: either one at herb or at flag, and then one at heading. 3 fungicide is best, but 2 is most profitable for our winter wheat. Our province has done the research to prove it. YOU MUST apply a fusarium fungicide at heading, otherwise you won't make grade and will have feed wheat. It won't be mill grade. Fusarium is toxic to everything and reduces quality far too much.

If you don't want to apply 2 fungicide, then just apply at heading. It is by far the easiest application window to get MaSsive yield increases.

Herb timing was not good for application this year due to dryness which limits fungus growth. We have applied at flag. We shall see heads in coming weeks.

100/ acre is out to lunch. You can't get the n from the straw as its used to break the straw bc the carbon is real high. Your losing mostly a little bit of k. Use a removal calculator and get real precise.

If you bale, you can not ill corn/ beans w no yield loss. But if you chop, you must till
0 Kudos
farmerguy89
Advisor

Forget flying it on. Yield loss is minimal from tires. Tracks just drive OCD ppl crazy
0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

Thanks, ECIN: I'll be doing my own spraying. I shouldnt run over much since I've sprayed a few times already. 2-4D, 28% twice, and Harmany. I'll just follow my old tracks. Still about $20 per acre for the fungicide. Seems like the final preventative step. Dad was trying to talk me out of it. My argument to him was I would hate do do everything right and screw it up at the last minute. I can't figure how to calculate the risk of not spraying.
0 Kudos
farmerguy89
Advisor

Buck. Harmony should be sufficient. Why would you spray 24d? Where I'm from we call harmony by the name of refine m: which is harmony and Mcpa. Even just harmony does a lot... Refine m has more controlled weeds than 24d and doesn't burn crops or reduce yield. No more 24d, unless you have massive dandelion problems. Even then, they are hard to control.

Whoever is charging you 20 for fungicide is ripping you off. I pay 16.
0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

2-4D was late fall but didn't control the garlic. Fungicide is 18, with adjuvants comes close to 20.
0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Buck --Dang it --soulds like with your program you have going -- there is no reason not to apply the fungicide - heck you have done everything to raise 100 bpa wheat -- go for it - lol

And 20 for the fungicide is not that bad - most of the time it will run 20 to 22 here , so they are in line .

Good luck on it !

0 Kudos
Blacksandfarmer
Veteran Advisor

Buck, I wouldn't skimp on the fungicide. I have never raised wheat but have a good friend that does. He said that he didn't start getting high yield wheat until he started using fungicide. He swears on using at least one application of fungicide at heading and maybe an application around flag leaf.

0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

I guess if you look at it from a yield stand point it only take a few extra bushels to pay for a $20 application
0 Kudos