cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

Foliar Fertilzier On Soybeans?

What is your personal experience with this?  I'm tempted to try it on part of one field.  The local dealer swears it's great.  The extension people say results are all over from zero yield increase to 15 bushels and no way to predict.

I'm especially interested in hearing from those who have tried it and will or won't again. 

0 Kudos
11 Replies
docharing
Veteran Contributor

Re: Foliar Fertilzier On Soybeans?

FWIW,

Just had this talk with my agronomist. Tried this the last 2 years and got a 4-6 bu. increase. This year is dry, no rain in next 10 days, agronomist says fertilizer will evaporate with no rain recommend that we skip it. I would use it again except for this  dry weather.

0 Kudos
akh_160
Frequent Reader

I've tried it for the past 3 years and have left many strips. Still trying but haven't been satisfied with the result to this point. Just haven't seen the consistency I would like.

0 Kudos
Pupdaddy
Advisor

I think it's alot like the inoculant issue...sometimes it pays, sometimes it just breaks even. I doubt there are too many times when it doesn't break even...but I suppose if you're applying a product with too much nitrogen, then you could inhibit nodulation just a little bit. If you're trying to alleviate soil deficiencies it's a whole 'nuther ballgame....You should be able to supply enough phosphorous and potassium to help make more yield...and if it's a molybdenum, or Mangenese deficiency...then it really might help. It's a tough call in my book. I've sprayed Manganese lots of times..and sometimes I think it helped. Others...I'm not too sure.

0 Kudos
Blacksandfarmer
Veteran Advisor

Re: Foliar Fertilizer On Soybeans?

Jim I have never used a foliar fertilizer in beans until this year. I have always heard foliar fertilizer can be a toss up for yield gain. I don't like to spray herbicides in beans after flowering starts but this years challenges have called for it. To lessen the stress on the beans from Roundup, I choose to have a foliar fertilizer added .... I don't know if I helped or hurt things but that was my reasoning for trying it this year... Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

0 Kudos
soil-life
Contributor

I have clients with side by sides of about 800 treated acres applied app. 3 weeks ago.

In North central Ohio.

So far. NO visual results. tissue nor root system development. This season. We just scouted, did root digs and walked the 1,600 acres yesterday.   Treated and untreated.  Side by sides.

Over the years. We have not been able to get any positive results statistically.

nor any positive results that would be repeatable. on soybeans.

But are willing to continue to do side by sides if the Supplier will provide the product and make recommendations as to the correct application method. Timing.

0 Kudos
idleriver
Contributor

foliar fertilizer is all about timing I believe.

I think you have to hit the window or it is a waste of money.

Midwest labs has a report that details this.  It is in their library.  It talks about soybeans on page 64.

I tried a strip trial two years ago and gained a half a bushel. But I sprayed it later than you are supposed to.

Now that I learned about the timing I would like to try it again, but last year at R3 it was too dry and it looks like this year will be also.

0 Kudos
njharvester
Contributor

Topdress soybean

We apply foliar Mn to all acres here in the coastal plain of NJ because of low Mn levels. Spead some dry Mn this year and you can see small improvement visually where the spreader doubled up. Soil-life, I would like to try some dry Mn, S, and K just forget how much you said that you would recomend from years past on othe site. 20# Mn Sulfate and 20# Ksulfate?

0 Kudos
soil-life
Contributor

Re: Topdress soybean

Good to hear from you there in nj

as called for by reviewing the soil and tissue analysis.

I will typically recommend 20 to 30 lbs per acre rate of Manganese Sulfate blended with most any dry fertilizer.

fall and spring.

We spent Wed. afternoon on a Farm where Ed Winkle was a guest and the Client visited had broadcast 30 Lbs of Manganese Sulfate

on all of his Corn fields last fall after harvest.

there were NO, or very few light colored tissue on his fields.

each field had a different blend.

but AMS

Boron

K-Sulfate

and 0-0-60 were part of the blends on most of the fields.

I also had a client top dress some AMS, K and Boron with 20 lbs of Manganese Sulfate this spring on app. 3,000 acres.

Depending on the soil type and O.M. content.

I have had 20 to 50-60 lbs of Manganese Sulfate applied spring and or fall. 

or even in season on Hay, Alfalfa fields.

We have VERY few Yellow, or light colored S.B. s right now.  On any of the fields we work with.

0 Kudos
soil-life
Contributor

Re: Topdress soybean

as far as K Sulfate applications go.

50 to 200 Lbs per acre rate are quite common

again, after reviewing soil and tissue analysis.

yield goals, etc etc.

0 Kudos