cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Reader

Forage Soybeans

I am thinking of planting some beans to chop for silage or possibly bale. Any suggestions on what variety to plant?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Forage Soybeans

Why aren't you planting something that would give you a little more tonnage like corn, forage sorghum or sudan grass?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Reader

We are a state university that operates on a very limited budget. I am already planting sudan grass and my colleagues at another university in Louisiana said they have had some success with forage soybeans. After doing some research corn is a much more expensive option for a gamble. We are in East Texas and the largest crop in our area is Pine trees, so any row crop that we plant will be a test run. There is no corn or bean producers in our area and to my knowledge I am the only one that planted any type of summer forage. The hay grazer has done really well for us and I am thinking of planting 15-20 acres of beans to see what will happen.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

Droughtnyness in variety selection should playinto your choice. But I would consider a "bushy" veriety that would typically be planted in 30" or wider rows and drill them.... that should produce a taller/bushier bean I'd think.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Reader

Any thoughts for herbicide/pre-emerge selection, fertilizer considerations, and a particular varieity. Drought is not a huge concern for us. We average 42 inches of rain annually.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

So did the corn belt until 2012. Don't count your chickens before they hatch, just because you average 40"+ precipitation doesn't mean you'll get that every year, that's why the call it an average.

I can't give you much info on beans, I've never produced them. As far as herbicide goes, I'd have a crop consultant give you recs on a program that enabled pre and post emergence. That same consultant could probably also take a soil sample and give you recs on a fertility program. I used to think agronomists were to expensive until I hired one, they do truly pay for themselves. Good luck in whatever you decide.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Can't you get a spray book? What's wrong with just using roundup ready?

If your stuck on pre, I'd use either pursuit+ r up followed by post r up or boundary lq one pass. Your available herbicides
May vary due to your geography. In fact, if you have low om you may not be able to use boundary. Just another reason to get a spray book. Takes two seconds to figure it out. These pre sprays can cost big $$ and put residues in the forage. Even pursuit, which inreccomensed can shorten the plants!!

If you want tall bushy plants, go with narrow rows and raise the population. They will grow tall!!

Most seed guides indicate how tall the varieties grow.
0 Kudos