cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gil.gullickson
Veteran Contributor

Fungicide plans for 2017

All,

I know it's early for this decision, but are any of you considering applying a fungicide on corn/soybeans for 2017? Guess lots of it depends on how the weather plays out this month/next month.

Best,

Gil Gullickson

Crops Technology Editor

Successful Farming

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Blacksandfarmer
Senior Advisor

Re: Fungicide plans for 2017

Its my understanding that fungicide rarely pays in corn and soybeans. ECIN had a really nice field day a couple years ago that had a fungicide trial in it. My take away was to plant corn hybrids that had good disease tolerance to save money on fungicide. Some of the worst diseases in corn are bacterial, fungicide won't fix bacterial blights.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

I won`t apply fungicide to corn or beans. The only way I can afford it is if it`s dry and a drought and the prices go up, then I won`t need it.  🙂

0 Kudos
JimMeade
Veteran Advisor

I have only used it once or twice and don't plan to use it again.

Here's the deal.  If you think you need it, you want it at the right time and you'd better get on the schedule and put your money down and follow-up closely.

If you think you are going to scout, determine that you need fungicide and expect the duster to get to you at the right time, that is unlikely.  Maybe ground equipment can fit you in at the right time if you can get through the corn.

Some corn genetics beg for fungicide.  I try to avoid them.

Still, the local use of fungicide, mostly as a prophylactic, has increased greatly and the sprayers are busy.  

It gets to be a question between put on the inputs and hope for a ROI or don't spend the inputs and  hope for no disease problems.

0 Kudos
gil.gullickson
Veteran Contributor

All,

I'll ask around at field days of companies about how demand for fungicides is going. My guess is it won't be like it was when corn was around $7, but then again, a lot depends on if we get wet weather later this month and into July.

Best,

Gil 

0 Kudos
JimMeade
Veteran Advisor

Gil,

You should call the sprayer people and see what they say.  

Here is the Iowa list:

https://www.idalsdata.org/IowaData/PesticideApplicatorReportPDF.cfm?CompanyName=&ConsultantName=&Cou...

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

That was pretty cool Jim ! Good post to boot ! - Yes the race horses will - probably need the Fungicide - I'm with you - I like the Work horse = most likely - will not need it - BSF - AND - his lovely bride - came down here for the field day - GREAT to meet the 2 - BUT his bride - well - well I better stop now - lol , but a great gal -Glad you had some take away from here BSF - btw - Kiersten Wise was the speaker that day and it was her plot .

BASF had the greatest marking group ever ! They did a great job of selling there fungicides - they even promoted - plant health - I have yet to see any benefits from the plant health sell - sounded good thou .

What they have done - is build up resistance to frog eye leaf spot - ( reports out of KY )  with there product in beans , sells is everything .

0 Kudos