cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Glyphosate damage in soybeans.

A question on RR soybeans.

Over the years I have seen twice when glyphosate application has killed rr soybeans that were under drought stress.  Has anyone else seen it? Once in tight soil, an august application turned the whole field brown and the beans stopped developing--- 40 bu beans turned into 20bu/a.  Second time a sandy hill in a field 70% turned brown and died while the rest of the field went on to develope well with the late water.  

We use beans as a catch crop where water is limited.  Like a shared water place with corn.  We will concentrate the water on corn until august then switch over to the beans for 4-6 weeks. 

Am I misreading what happens or has anyone else seen similar ??

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Glyphosate damage in soybeans.

No your wrong. It takes a ridiculous amount of roundup to kill them. Are you growing any conventional?

Even durin flowering it's tough to cause huge damage.

I'm thinking late season disease problems... What was drainage like?

I really don't have soybean cyst or any disease around here yet. I have seen brown stem rot take plants early. I thought it was phytopthora though
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

It could be possible.  Read somewhere years ago that the soybean resistance to glyphosate is a 2nd enzyme or something that kicks in after the glyphosate kills the normal one.  This doesn't happen immediately, and if sufficient stress at just the wrong time, beans can be damaged.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I'm with WCMO on this - for now --  I believe that under the right time - the right stress that anything can or may happen - When I get some time - I think I know where to look - to see if this has been reported or happened before

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Thanks for the thoughts ------ and those to come.

I am afraid the first time ----- good soil, 20 bu beans under heavy drought stress----- whole field and I am afraid a airial applicator got blamed. ---Went brown and in a week and we cut them very early.

Second time sandy knoll in field, we sprayed, sandy hill (4 acres) had 75% brown death,  rest of field went on to do very well.

But this is one of those we water up and say "your on your own" until last 2 wks of august.  Then we concentrate the water on it for 4+ weeks.  At the time of spraying it was pretty dry and of course the sand hill would have been in the worst shape.  But It got me to thinking about the first one two years before.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I'm informed that we have our custom spraying done according to GPS and there are  NO overlap although a visual and walk through tells me something else - just saying --- 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

We set ours up with 6 inches overlap.  and the wind does blow occasionally.

GPS ---- not a good excuse but it might work for someone.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

When I hear not possilble - I take a step back and wait for the excuse train to roll by ---Smiley LOL

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Agree with your reply but a little bit.

0 Kudos