cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John_Walter
Advisor

Good soil conditions?

Report from central Illinois farmer Doug Martin: "Best soil conditions we have planted into in several years." What are things like in your neighborhood?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

Re: Good soil conditions?

Ground looks and feels good but it's still too cold.

0 Kudos
old man
Senior Contributor

I am retired, but I always was of the opinion that when April came and the ground was in good condition to plant you should consider doing so.  I always thought that when it is this early, it may be better to plant in cool soils because , with the seed protections available today, the corn will not sprout without going bad ,until the soil warms up. If the soil is warm , then the corn will come up and an early freeze will hurt emerged corn. It will eventually get warm. It is better to try to avoid compaction, so plant when conditions are right.

0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

Just when it was getting dry enough to get out and get something done a couple weeks earlier than usual we got .9" rain Monday.   The water table is high enough it raised the water level in the creeks a couple feet.  The forecast is for rain all day Friday and a high of 80 (39 here on Thursday as I type this) on Sunday which should bring some hellatious storms Sunday night.

0 Kudos
marketeye
Veteran Advisor

A contact from southern Illinois says, "I saw some corn getting planted from Buffalo Hart, IL to Litchfield, IL.  I saw 4 or 5 planters.  It is damp here in Hillsboro today, so I doubt anyone will be going."

Mike

0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

Had 1.1" rain today in nw Ohio.  Set us back another week.  More supposedly coming Sunday.

0 Kudos