cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Grain Sorghum (Milo) Harvest has begun

I started cutting milo yesterday evening and must say it is exciting. It's looking like this might be the first crop I will harvest the past 3 years that isn't accompanied by an insurance check. I won't guarantee that until I'm completely finished, we've got severe weather forecasted for later today and tomorrow. This one man chain gang didn't get rolling until about 4:30 yesterday afternoon but was able to get 2500 bushels hauled away in about 3 hours. Crop is dry and coming in at about 60#/B, 4# above the 56# normal weight. I'm one of the few that is able to harvest, many others have tried but their grain is too wet, but I think I was in the ground about 2 weeks ahead of most. I'll try to get a few pics posted but it might be a couple days.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Re: Grain Sorghum (Milo) Harvest has begun

Good luck and be careful !

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Thanks ECIN, are you parked for a few days? Thought I read where you received a little rain a couple days ago.
0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

No Shag - were running full bore here - Have been wet - got 2.5 inchs over last weekend - yesterday was getty up day here - lol 

Corn running 22.5

0 Kudos
Bugeye
Senior Contributor

Shaggy, lots and lots of milo being cut between you and me. Nearly all of it with a flex head or a row head cuz it fell all over the place. Don't think there is a single field that doesn't have a lot of down milo. Think most around here will be fair to pure crap. East fifty miles or so and I think there will be some record breaking yields where they caught some rain. I've never seen milo look so good around Smith Center and east. Outstanding crops over that way.
0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

I hear you on the downed milo Bug, I cut my worst lodged field first and it came in right at 80 BPA, but I know with 100% certainty I left 25-30 BPA laying out there.  I don't have crop lifters or a row head, so I guess I'll be a big supporter of the Pheasants Forever Organization this year.  I won't even graze it, I would be concerned about losing a few cows.  I was cutting on a different patch Thursday where in places my yield monitor was reading 150BPA+, the whole field won't average that, but by far the best milo I have ever cut.  We had 1/2" rain on Thursday night so I'll be shut down until Saturday at the earliest.

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Milo Combine.jpg

Waiting for the truck.

0 Kudos