cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Hard red winter varietal question

If I were after a variety of HRW that was very cold tolerant and would grow between 32 and 35 inches tall and yielded well, did not need to be resistant to cephalosporium stripe rust and protein didn't matter, what variety would you recommend? This is for a cracked wheat market we are developing. The height matters because this will be grown without herbicides.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Re: Hard red winter varietal question

What state are you wanting your variety to be adapted for?  Irrigated or dryland? Rainfall during the season? Kansas, for example, has extension publication on wheat varieties that usually includes cold tolerance, yields in different areas, resistance and susceptibility, etc.  Variety selection truly does have to be on a per-field basis often: the top-yielding varieties in our trials this past year yielded an average of 17 bu/acre over the AVERAGE variety tested- this translates into a swing of 70 bushels under irrigation for one of our fields.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Hard red winter varietal question

Thanks KSKid.
I read the extension varietal release documents quite frequently, but I like to get a real world opinion too. I have been looking at a variety called "Boundary" out of university of Idaho. Supposed to yield 110 bu under irrigation. Not sure I quite believe that. We have a hundred acres in the ground and under contract, so I will keep you posted. It is being grown certified organic by one of our better growers, so we will see.
0 Kudos