cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Contributor

Harvest progress

I flew from Iowa City to Mount Vernon, IL, east of St. Louis, on Saturday.  There is a lot of corn out in Illinois but not so many beans done.  It look like many people have planted later beans and are not cutting them yet.  Corn is spotty.  While a lot is out, more is still unharvested.  Looks good from the air.  No wind damage or real disease disasters that I noticed.

I am going to put the bean head on the combine today, then sit and wait for the beans to get ready.  The wagons, tractors and all are ready (except for one tractor I'm still fiddling with).  The combine is all set and ready to go.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Steakmaker
Contributor

Re: Harvest progress

We put up about 40 acres of high moisture corn a little over a week ago. Very little corn out in SCMN, in fact I only know of one neighbor who has started. A few beans out, probably less than 5%. We had the bean head on and were about 45 minutes from heading to the field when it started to rain. 7" later we're waiting for the water to go down before we can start.

0 Kudos

What did you do with that electrical problem you had on the combine?  I just put a new ignition switch in mine.  It would always start but you sometimes had to wiggle the key to activate everything else.  It fired right up 2 weeks ago after months of sitting idle but the next day the battery was dead.  I figured the switch didn't shut all the way off when my son moved the combine and shut it off.  Tried to recharge the battery as it was down to 3 volts but ended buying a new one.   It was time anyway as the battery was 6 plus years old.

0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Contributor

I had to change out the fan motor.  Then, I had to find a new ground for it, as the old one just wasn't grounding right.

0 Kudos

If we had 7" here we'd prolly be sitting the ground freezes up.

0 Kudos

We were about ready to go last week and got an inch of rain on monday.  Just drying out and it started again friday evening and rained off and on for 22 hours resulting in another inch.  A real good soaker we could have used mid August.  More in the forecast for tomorrow, Monday.  Chomping at the bit here to see if the crop is as good as it looks.

0 Kudos

1ST frost this morning nw ohio   37 degrees.

0 Kudos