cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Hay Pricing in your Area

Just wondering what hay is selling for in your area. Here, in Mid-Western Ontario, hay crop is about half the volume. Lots of hay ground has been plowed up to grow Corn and Beans. Hay prices are more than double from last year. People are buying hay early this year, over concern of not getting any. We have hay for sale, but going fast.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Hay Pricing in your Area

sold some first cutting big rounds right out of the field for 166 a ton. now that same hay is worth about 205.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Went to an Indiana hay auction this morning. Quite a few loads there today. Top price was $280 a ton.... Some of that hay looked to be poor quality. I believe they have ok'ed  CRP ground for bailing in this region so that may be what I was seeing. I know a guy that went to that same auction last week and got $310 a ton for a pickup load of small square bail hay.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

Here in Alaska people get from 300 to 600 a ton if it was priced that way.  But every one sells it by the bale and some bales are light (40 lb)  they get 10 to 12 dollars/ bale.  Most customers are horse people and only buy 10 to 20 bales at a time. I dont know if there are any big sales, the few dairies we have are small and grow their own and I don't try to sell to the big boys.  As far as I know there are no auctions up here.  I was wondering if any of you are getting your fertilizer in ton bags?   I have to buy it that way and used to turn the old bags back in for new ones.  Now they charge me for the bags and will not take them back.  So I have all there bags and can't figure a good use for them.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Hay was high all winter in NW Ohio then collapsed in early March when fields greened up a month early.  2 weeks ago I went to the auction for big rounds.  1 guy was keeping the price at $55 by bidding or buying to that price.  Came home empty.  

I planted my hay fields to corn this year, just the year I thought I could buy it cheaper than bale it.   But I had so much $$$ tied up in hay equipment it didn't seem worth it and I have Drs. orders to stay out of the sun as much as possible.  Neighbor has been selling small squares 1st cutting $4.00.  2nd for $6.00.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Reader

Wow I thought getting $120/ton was good at the hay auction a few weeks ago. It has been on the rise since though with even waterway hay going for $3.50-4/bale. After two cuttings it has been good but we haven't seen any rain in SE MN for awhile.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

One thing to remember is everything has to be shipped to Alaska and I conceder myself lucky if I get one cutting of good hay.  We get a yield of 1 to 1.5 ton/ AC.  No place to try and farm but if you get it you got it. Still hard to make it pay.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Friend

Southern Indiana alfalfa bringing about $240 a ton
0 Kudos