cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ray h.
Senior Contributor

Hay and pasture acreage?

Are  any of you guys that are planting fence to fence going to want your pature or  hay acres back if corn and soy go to far south?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
marketeye
Veteran Advisor

Re: Hay and pasture acreage?

Ray h,

I'm going to piggyback on your question. Is it possible to put up hay in September? Or, is that too late?

Mike

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

If I were to plant alfalfa today, I'd have one less cutting compared to an established stand like what most people tear up.  Last cutting is often done in September, here.

Personally, we almost ran out of hay, in the spring of highest priced hay in my lifetime, and are making sure that it won't happen again.  I partner with my brother, and we have 2 little corners of alfalfa added in the last couple years. 
As for pasture, we didn't tear any up, because while corn/beans was as high as it had been, so were cattle, and the first year after breaking up sod doesn't seem to yield the best.

0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

Right now only hay is on ground that is to steep to get a combine over. Good hay doesn't sell around here. Most horse owners (including my own mother) want cheap hay and have no idea what the feed value is. Most small cattle guys aren't much better. Will only consider rotating more hay back in if grain goes to a level less than profitable.
0 Kudos