cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikesh1986
Veteran Reader

Hemp growers

Hey folks, new here, young and full of questions. Some of you may know, some may not but Commercial Hemp was made legal to grow in Michigan following some obvious strict guidelines and proper licensing procedures. However my question is simple... I even emailed the MDARD and they couldn't give me answers. I just want to know if anyone knows of any licensed hemp processors in the state of Michigan? I would hate to invest the money to grow hemp but not have a market to sell it. Any information anyone could give me would be appreciated. I've googled to I was blue in the face and still couldn't get a straight answer. Thanks.
8 Replies
sandiasierras
Frequent Visitor

Re: Hemp growers

Hi, mikesh1986, I am wondering the same. Also curious if anyone knows of a proven, valid source for feminized seed or cultivars. Any/all info appreciated. Thx.
0 Kudos
sandiasierras
Frequent Visitor

Just thinking there may not yet be licensed hemp processors in Michigan since this is the first season of legal, research hemp production. Hopefully, those licensed to process hemp will contact those of us who are licensed only to grow hemp. Perhaps, those of us licensed through MDARD to kick-off this hemp research program need a forum/method to communicate with and support one another, exchange info and resources among ourselves. My understanding is that MDARD is the source for licensing but cannot technically provide specific production, processing information.
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

You might want to talk to Ken Anderson at Legacy Hemp.  I don`t know much about it, but I`d say you`d want a contract, before you grow and make sure you`re using the right seed and growing practices.  As I understand it, the hemp seed has to be processed shortly after harvest, you don`t have time to sit on it to find a market like you would with grain.

https://legacyhemp.com/

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Besides checking for markets, potential producers of industrial hemp will want to see what pesticides are available.  As of right now, EPA has no pesticides approved for hemp to my knowledge.  Various states have some pesticides OKd but they are lower level "minimum risk" pesticides, not the big guns.  Probably want to check out your own states laws.

0 Kudos
sandiasierras
Frequent Visitor

Yes, absolutely. Growers may want to have soil tests/analysis as well. Detail records as you grow and harvest, so you have history and starting point for next growing season.
0 Kudos
rbeylikjian
Visitor

Have you looked at contacting Hemp Inc? I know they have Hemp processing facilities in Oregon, Arizona & North Carolina, but I'm not sure if they've established themselves anywhere in the Mid-West as of yet. Are you intending to grow for industrial purposes or CBD?

0 Kudos
sandiasierras
Frequent Visitor

I hope to focus on CBD. This is the first year of a pilot program in MI. I'm considering this a season of learning and exploration of industrial hemp production.
rbeylikjian
Visitor

That's bizarre that they're still only in Pilot Program stages considering they've legalized marijuana. Oh well, it's progress nonetheless!! In Iowa we're stuck waiting for legislation on regulation since they approved growing for 2020, progress, but keeps us from putting seeds in the soil this year & establishing a baseline for the crop production. Considering how fast everything grows in Iowa I think it could be highly successful here.

0 Kudos