cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Hemp!?

Lots of articles are touting how hemp production will almost single handedly save agriculture. I have asked around and no one can tell me what is it good for? In WWII it was grown for rope. How much rope can we use? Grow it for seed is another common response. WHen there is plenty of seed then what? Reminds me of the emu boom. Fertile eggs were $2500-$5000 each but when they hatched and grew no one knew what to do with the animals! Seems like the same thing happening with hemp. Am i wrong? Tell me.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Hemp!?

There`s already too much supply, if you`re going to raise the crap you better have a contract with a reliable buyer.  The whole country would have to smoke dope like Cheech & Chong and wear hemp shirts like Woody Harrelson and rub COPD oil all over themselves to make a meaningful demand.   But if enough horsepower is strapped on a brick, it`ll fly too.  

aqbrown1119601
Veteran Reader

@hwr247 wrote:

Lots of articles are touting how hemp production will almost single handedly save agriculture. I have asked around and no one can tell me what is it good for? In WWII it was grown for rope. How much rope can we use? Grow it for seed is another common response. WHen there is plenty of seed then what? Reminds me of the emu boom. Fertile eggs were $2500-$5000 each but when they hatched and grew no one knew what to do with the animals! Seems like the same thing happening with hemp. Am i wrong? Tell me.

There Is always an answer to a riddle...

You asked what will we do when we have an overabundance of seeds. we will use them as a renewable energy fuel source when we COLD PRESS them into biodiesel fuel. we can power a turbine which is combined-cycle, to run either off of the diesel or off of syngas which we will create from TDF, which is tire derived fuel. We can obtain approximately 300 gallons per acre from hemp seed oil. Not focusing on the quantity but let's focus on the fact that it is a renewable fuel source which we can produce, and in the long-term we can sustain energy around the globe at equal if not higher levels than what coal produces. our primary focus is from the tire derived fuel which we obtain syn gas and a diesel oil. Syn gas would be the predominant by product obtained which would power turbine 1, creating heat, creating steam, which will power turbine 2. So I urge you please produce as many seeds as possible, we intend to, as we do have an exit for them.

@hwr247 wrote:

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

thank you for the insightful explanation!

now i can tell my coffee shop farmer friends what its good for!

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

hwr247,  the comment is not so insightful when you put cash flow to work on it.

It is by far more expensive to raise under regulation than corn for ethanol..... and far less productive in energy

There are millions of options as long as money doesn't matter.  But cost effectiveness does.

0 Kudos
mcox5922213
Visitor

I think the hemp "boom" won't be what many think it will be. But, the comments here show a lack of understanding of what industrial help is all about. It is not pot. Industrial hemp, besides the CBD oil is also used for fine threads and fabric. It is pressed into fiber board that is stronger than wood. Hemp is approved and legal. You can even get crop loans and insurance.

0 Kudos
aqbrown1119601
Veteran Reader

We will utilize the seeds for bio diesel fuel to power turbines. Where have you found lenders giving crop loans? FSA has not approved hemp as of today. We become the exit for help growers who mist have exit in order to apply. Let me know what lenders are doing land crop loans .We have tracts ready to purchase.

0 Kudos