cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Herbicide Antagonism

What do you know about herbicide antagonism?  The label may say that one should not cultivate and then spray within a certain time window.  What do we know about mixing herbicides that might reduce the effectiveness of one or more of the weed killers?

I'm not sure the label is a good enough source of information.

What is your experience?  I'm working on my 2019 herbicide plan.  I do my own spraying.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Herbicide Antagonism

A search online showed this for starters.  (This is a complicated subject.)

Herbicides can interact physically or chemically in the tank mix.or biologically in the plant.  There can be effects even if one sprays them one after the other (not in the same tank mix).

Antagonism is more common than synergism.

Mixing a grass herbicide with a broadleaf herbicide tends to reduce the effectiveness of the grass herbicide.

Among the ways there can be antagonism in the plant are that one herbicide does not reach the site of action at full strength, that it is blocked from binding at the site of action, the two chemicals cancel each other or even that they have the opposite of intended effect.

I wish there was more current research on this.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

What is your goal, to make your own Flexstar and Halex?   Those you buy chemical from will definitely help you out, whether it`s Titan Pro or Wickman, they share recipes that have worked.   My Titan Pro guy didn`t have Halex GT on hand and gave me a quick recipe of Meso, glophosate and Atrazine that worked with no problems last summer.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I think I'll do more separate applications.  This wouldn't work for larger farmers who need to cover a lot of acres quickly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

At one of those ISU crop advantage meetings they were talking about weeds are germinating later in the summer...I think it was Giant Rag.  I`m lucky yet roundup still kills it for me.  What I`m trying to do is get to a one pass system where I can, Resicore or Corvus and then use a separate treatment if needed as a rescue like Status.  That way if you have a pre down you`re you`re not behind the 8 ball, like coming in for final with your trim tabs at 65 then all you have to mainly worry about is steering.

Last year Resicore + Atrazine worked great and it was a truly one pass program, but the company will pay if you have to do a clean up, so it seems the best deal in the long run.  But in the peat I have burr cumber, roundup kills it and do Halex GT at pop can height and roundup just before lay by. 

0 Kudos