cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Hey Hank

I just seen your question last night on the corn - your right , it's tasseling - anyway starting good .

my documtims 510.jpgmy documtims 510.jpg

These are 2 of the dapt - n strips - with other rates on either side - notice - it i short and not as deep green but it - it started to tassel sooner .

0 Kudos
2 Replies
hanktbd
Senior Contributor

Re: Hey Hank

Thanks for the update. Really interested in how this plot turns out. Dad was side dressing NH3 back in the late 50's and we continued doing so until we acquired some rolling ground with lots of terraces and point rows. Switched to preplant NH3 and minimum tillage in the early 70's due to all the point rows and got a nice yield boost on the minimum tillage continous corn. Dad always put on about 7 tenths of a pound of N for each targeted yield bushel. I have turned up the N to about 1 pound per bushel split application and the yields have responded, but not sure the bottom line has improved, especially with current prices for N and corn.

I did notice that Purdue's information on the Chat and Chew had a disclaimer about the Adapt-N saying that it may under estimate the optimum financial rate a bit. I think they hope test plots such as this will help fine tune the alogarithms.

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Re: Hey Hank

Hank -- yes that's true --for now  - I got a e=mail from Cornell on this subject - they are making changes to the program - One problem - if i remember this right - is root depth - when you filll out the on-line form for your field  - it has  like 5 or 6 root depth's to pick from - i think at the time - we used 25 inch's for the corn

BTW -- i think that Jim Cambrato told me that Purdue has --either 6 or 7 plots out on there farms as well as Mine = alot of testing .

Yes it's a work in progress ,  and has been fun and a learning experience

0 Kudos