cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Re: Hey Hank

Very interesting 89. It's amazing how one crop can have two entirely different production styles.
0 Kudos
farmerguy89
Advisor

It sure is. Total rainfall seems to be the determinant of how much management you get to apply. Especially w n strategies.

My Literature review says fall n is okay when leaching isn't probable.

But... Each environment is so different. It's kind of like some Iowan tellin me how to grow corn and you as well. There is quite a range of responses to input
0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

That is one reason I try to always put my location into my post when I'm speaking to someone who is new to the discussion and unaware of my Central Kansas operation.
0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

Yep the fungicide saved my but. However I did have some downgraded to feed because of sprout. 19 consecutive days of rain durring harvest!! And on my ground the notill looked much better, but didn't yield as well. Since it was my first year trying wheat and have seen the advantage of tillage in corn I tried both. Some of my ground is HEL also so it was notill.
0 Kudos
farmerguy89
Advisor

I had a problem w rain but I have enough storage to blend. When it ets crazy like that your better off blending to make grades. That's what I did to preserve my premium milling contracts this year.
0 Kudos
Longcreekfarms
Senior Contributor

Growing SRW in Va I always shoot for 100 bu. I tend to no till wheat in behind beans and try to have it drilled by oct 10th. I add P and K at 50 and 120 lbs with a dry spreader through the winter and split my N application in the spring to two shots of UAN at 50 units each. May or may not use a fungicide depending on the forecast at bloom and cereal leaf beetle threshold.
2013 avg was 97 bu and my test plot of 20 acres in one field ran 119 avg where I added a humic acid with 2nd top dress spray.
Have been using peak in the fall if it looks like there will be a broadleaf weed issue, but generally bean stubble stays pretty clean.
0 Kudos