cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

How Do You Handle Down Corn?

I have more down corn than I've ever had, but not enough to want to go out and buy a reel for it if I can help.

I asked around to see if there are any tips or tricks to working down corn and everyone seems to say do whatever works.  It's not as if going one direction or the other or only taking a partial swath helps all the time - it seems you have to adapt to each situation.

Is that what you find?

I've heard that poly snouts are much better, but I have old steel ones.  I am going to try some Slip Plate on them to see if that helps.  Other than that, I guess it's go slow and get off and unplug it as needed.

What's your experience?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
hanktbd
Senior Contributor

Re: How Do You Handle Down Corn?

Jim,

Interesting blurb in Van Trumps report today regarding the header snout attachments sold by the company linked below. No personal experience, but they looked interesting to me for not a lot of money. Might even pay for themselves on a year without down corn.

www.kalerfarms.com.

0 Kudos
Pat in CMO
Senior Contributor

If your header has the ear saver humps on it take them off and the stalks will slide in much better. If the corn is laying down across the rows, start on the end of the field that the tops are pointing towards. This will disturb/straighten the first row on the next pass so it will feed into the head instead of hanging over the end of the header. Other than that be paitient and go slow.  Good luck  Patrick

0 Kudos
Taylor ECIL
Senior Contributor

Ifeel for you. Take the dog houses off if you have them on.  I have corn head slides (don't know who makes them bought them off a friend) that works well in down corn. 2 years ago I had to take 7 rows and use a harvested row as a guide row on my down corn

Not my corn head but one off the world wide web, with the same slides.

0 Kudos
Husker-J
Senior Contributor

My dad made a set of them years ago, for our old corn head at the time.  Made them out of I believe an old threshing machine blower pipe.   More or less cut the pipe in pieces, that tapered to a point.  They worked pretty well.

The only thing I remember for sure, to add to the picture, would be that the end 'slides' need to go all the way to the back of the head, and there should be a small extention on the back that they attatch to.   That way, if you have tall corn that is down, it gradually lifts the ear up and in.   Without the extention, when the stalk falls of the end of the slide, and hits the tin below it, the ear on the end row can fall off, to the outside of the row.   With the slide extended all the way to the top, the ear slips over, and into the head.   I also think making the slide out of that thin walled tubing of the blower tube, let them be a gradual curve, less likely to knock the ears off, as well.

0 Kudos
TSumbra
Contributor

I bought row guidance for about 6000 and I think it paid for itself on the first field. Once the snouts are under the corn the feeler will keep you rock solid on the row by sensing the stalks underneath. It is amazing to combine 4.5 mph in down corn and watch the corn just lift up and feed right in. Don't have to steer either.
0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

I appreciate everyone's responses.  there were helpful.  I ended up buying a used poly snout head and that has helped a lot, but I'll keep the other ideas in mind.

0 Kudos