cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marketeye
Veteran Advisor

How High's The Water Momma?

Last weekend, I spent a few days in central Illinois. The field I was in showed plenty of moisture. After digging into the ground about two-hands deep, I was able to make a pretty moist ball of dirt. The area has recorded about 1.00" of rain above normal for the month and for the year. The snowmelt has helped. So, the subsoil moisture looks decent. I have included a few photos to show the running water in the nearby creek. If you will, share what it's like, moisture-wise, in your area. It was great to be in the country. A beautiful day!

Take a look:

McClean County water.jpgMcClean Co. ditch.jpgMcLean Co. Creek.jpg

0 Kudos
6 Replies
nwobcw
Advisor

Re: How High's The Water Momma?

A mudball at 2 hands deep?   You can make that here in NW Ohio clay from the visible soil.  2 hands deep you can make a mudball about all summer expect if it gets extremely dry.  We still have snow on the north side of the woods.  I have set fence posts in mid summer and hit water at 2 feet.

0 Kudos
marketeye
Veteran Advisor

nwobcw,

It sounds like you are in good shape heading into spring? I get what you're saying. I was digging at the bottom of a hill, not the top. I think I was in a spot that had received some of the snowmelt run-off. So, you would think the ground would be even wetter than it was. But, overall, the ground appreared adequately moisturized. When do you think you will start planting in your northwestern Ohio clay?

Mike

0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

In my particular area we usually get 2-4 days around April 25th then a rain comes and we are done until about May 5th.  Notice I said usually.  Almost everything is no-till here so it goes in fast.  Many are now lightly working ground in the fall to plant corn in the following spring.  The corn has been getting crusted in by the late April rains the last few years.  I'm not a BTO so I figure prime planting time is May 5-15.  3.0 maturity beans come off around Sep. 25 at 13%.  Plenty of time to follow with wheat.  Up here by the lake we stay cold and wet more than just about anybody.  All you have to do is go 20 miles west or south of my location and they are easily a week ahead.

0 Kudos
marketeye
Veteran Advisor

Today, I noticed that Al Kluis, Kluis Commodities, mentioned in his daily newsletter that signs of a normal spring are showing up for Minnesota, northern Iowa. He said:

"I am amazed at how quickly the snow has gone away in the northern Corn Belt. In southern Minnesota 80% of the snow is gone this week, and in NW Iowa they were out mowing lawns yesterday. At this pace, we could end up with a normal spring."

Mike

0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

Mike,

I think the soil is saturated in some places.  I'm seeing some tile running and some not, but I don't think much rainfall would soak in as much as run off around here.

0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

Somewhat normal for late March.  Some warm days, some miserable ones, like today.

0 Kudos