Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jeff_a_Caldwell
Senior Contributor

How much of your ground is tiled?

0 Kudos
4 Replies

Re: How much of your ground is tiled?

If I had my druthers, I'd have probably 95% of my farm tiled. NW Ohio has more problems with excess spring wetness than we can shake a stick at. Most of this ground is reclaimed from an old swamp..and if it weren't for the county ditch projects..would still only be raising ducks. I have fields where if I had a choice...I'd bury tile every 25' about 30" deep. They are heavy lakebed soils..that drain extremely poorly. On the sandy loams..I'd still only go as wide as 50' and I think it would make them a lot more uniform to farm.

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

I find it interesting how in some places, the talk is that the single greatest thing you can do to increase yields, is to lay tile, to drain excess water, and where I am, the single greatest thing that increases yield, is to pump water on.

One question about tiling, though.  If you fall apply N, does it leach down to the tile, and drain out with the water?  I've no experience with tiled land, but just wondered if that could happen.

0 Kudos

..In a word, Yes!. You don't see very much fall nitrogen application here. Only about 25 units on wheat to get it started. Most anhydrous goes on either pre-plant in the spring or side dressed. 28% is used for weed and feed programs..but I don't know how much of that is going on anymore because of it's expense. You do see some 28% side dressed with injectors...and a little urea used on no-till. We actually have a concern locally that uses Ammonium Sulfate from the coal mines..and mixes it up into a slurry to apply it. I used it on some wheat once...I had 50 mesh strainers in..and wished I had 30 mesh! There were little bits of coal still in the product..and it plugged up a lot!..LOL

0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

I have 100 % of the ground I own tiled. Have about a third of rented ground. So far only one landlord would agree to a long term lease (10 years). I think you need at least 7 years to guarantee a descent return on investment with our soils. If every year was as wet as last year 2 or 3 may be long enough to pay off.
0 Kudos