cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Contributor

Inputs for 2015

All,

In our Mid-February issue coming out next week, there will be an article on input spending for 2015. I have a few more stories coming out in the next few months on this subject.

Are there any input areas--seed, fertilizer, cash rents--where you've been able to shave costs? Or standing put or even increasing them if you think they will pay off? One example that came across in the article are preemergence herbicides. Even though they can cost $20/acre or more, the thinking is they can buy a few weeks time by halting weed growth and taking the heat off postemergence herbicides. 

Thanks,

Gil Gullickson
Crops Technology Editor, Successful Farming

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Advisor

Re: Inputs for 2015

One area that has been really scrutinized (maybe too much) is seed costs. My usual purchasing was from syngenta,monsanto, and pioneer. I still did that, but none of the newest hybrids. From talking to seed salesman in north iowa, the big winners are the "2nd tier" of seed suppliers like channel, renk, mycogen, etc. I purchased some triple stack corn from renk for the first time. my cost for triple stack renk will be about $94/acre.

another seed "cost savings" was from syngenta. they had a substantial early pay /early discount. to get that had to commit and partial pay in oct and full pay in nov. I did as well as i could on the other company's "early pay".

I may cut corn population a small amount. Say from 34,000 to 32,500.

I still think soybean seed is a bigger "ripoff" than corn. sure there are research and breeding involved, but when they get to the final product, it's still just the same as what i have in the bin. Except at 5-7 x the price. No traits, just beans.

It would be interesting to talk to coop and private agronomy managers as to p&k purchases in iowa .  Don't know any trends, but when corn was $7 we could all spread "home run" rates. I pulled back on that myself.

I  purchased 4 tractor rears last fall and they definitely were lower priced than a year earlier. $200-400 less on what had been $2000 tires. I suspect that has widened even more. The tire store manger said "if john deere isn't buying as many, the price is coming down".

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Thx, Idalivered. I hadn't given much thought of that before about the "second tier" company angle. I've wondered sometimes if the bigger names can back down in price that much (in corn), due to all the technology investment they have in them.

It will be interesting in the bean mkt next year when the RR 2 Xtend (dicamba-tolerant) and the Dow Enlist beans (2,4-D tolerance) come on the market. Imagine they will be more expensive with this trait, wonder if farmers will back down from this? I guess it just depends on how bad their weed problems are, too. 

0 Kudos
Advisor

I think the enlist and x-tend traits are widely anticipated by producers. In this case, i won't likely be a "first adopter", Unless thats what monsanto gives me to grow for seed.  I'm concerend about their "new" dicamba product. I'd like someone else to try it for a year. 

0 Kudos
Advisor

6-15-40 is $530 a ton here
0 Kudos