cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jeff_a_Caldwell
Senior Contributor

KS tornado photos

A friend of mine sent me these photos the other day of a tornado that touched down near my hometown in NW KS a week ago last Friday. Sounds like it knocked over a center pivot, but that was about all the damage. Pretty amazing shots.

162iE44EB067ADFEE463163i7AB519C4F19DD3D5

164i938C9927CCC20376165i5D8EDD46C5198793166i8FBA0B85B334DE59

0 Kudos
8 Replies
acfarmer
Veteran Contributor

Re: KS tornado photos

Them are some pretty awesome pictures. We had one touch down north of my house today. I didnt see it which is a good thing I guess.

0 Kudos
Wind
Advisor

Great photos!!  Just curious, what is the name of your home town?  I have some relatives near Quinter.  Western KS sure looks green.

0 Kudos
Jeff_a_Caldwell
Senior Contributor

Hey, Wind. Your family's right down the road from mine. My hometown is Hoxie, just a little west on 70 and north on hwy 23 from Quinter. 

These pictures were actually taken up north of Hoxie, near the old Lucerne township.

Yep, they're having another fairly good year out there. The wheat crop ought to turn out pretty good if folks avoided or sprayed for stripe rust, which I'm hearing is pretty bad around there. 

0 Kudos
sharksoup
Senior Contributor

Was home in Colby last week. Had some tornado warnings for SE of town, and some good thunder and lightning, but not a drop of rain.

Wheat was a bit late, but coloring up nicely. When heading home noticed they were cutting around Russell and Salina south.
0 Kudos
Jeff_a_Caldwell
Senior Contributor

Hey, Shark. Were they cutting around Colby yet? Sounds like they were doing some test cuts earlier this week, but weren't quite going full-bore as of Wednesday, the last I heard. 

Things looking good around Colby?

0 Kudos
sharksoup
Senior Contributor

Don't know for sure Jeff; was only there visiting for a week and haven't talked to my family since. I would imagine they're going full blast now. What I saw looked pretty good. Even the dry land corn looked decent; that's something that very few planted in that area 10 years ago - can't understand why it's more prevalent now.
0 Kudos
sharksoup
Senior Contributor

Got an email from a friend last night that they were seeing 50 - 60 bu/acre around Colby.  Told me that things had shut down due to some heavy rains.

0 Kudos
Jeff_a_Caldwell
Senior Contributor

Talked to my pop in Hoxie last night -- said that they're about to wrap up harvest around there. Said there's a lot of 50- to 60-bushel yields, but my uncle had a few acres that were in the 30s. Those acres were hit by stripe rust, it sounds like. So, it's not the bin-buster they've had there the last couple of years, but it's decent. They're getting just enough rain around there to keep things looking pretty good, it sounds like, especially the dryland corn. 

0 Kudos