cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KSKid501
Veteran Contributor

Micronutrients Question

Have any of y'all run test strips with some of the micronutrient fertilizers being sold these days?  I'm curious as to what price per acre and returns (or losses) your experiments have had- If you've tried some out, if you could let me know what you've tried, what crop, area, and what you thought of it (or what it would take to get you to try a product/what size test you would run) that would be awesome!  I'm going into a Soil Fertility course this coming semester and am curious as to how real world results compare to what my professor is saying: I know his emphasis in the research side of his job is in micronutrients, but I doubt he'll share specific results in class...

Thanks guys!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

Re: Micronutrients Question

If you consider sulfur and magnesium on corn micronutrients, then yes. It's been 30-40 bushel per acre three years in a row now. I think it cost about $15 per acre. With these yeilds its no question.
0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

I've been putting a little sulfer and zinc down for about the past 5 or 6 years.  I've never done any test strips.

0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

I've taken a few sulfur tests and not found the results warrant adding any.  Other micronutrients I've not had any indication I need them.  I'm always a littel leery of dealers pushing snake oil.  If the soil tests or other objective data showed I need them, I'll use them.  Otherwise, I will not use them if it's a break-even proposition.

The topic of micronutrients is probably most directly related to specific soil types and crops.  For a corn and soybean farmer in Iowa, there has been no definitive proof that they make me any money.

0 Kudos