cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Midwestern pumpkin seed production

Is there anyone in the Midwest raising pumpkins for seed? If so, I may have an opportunity for you to grow pumpkin seeds for my company. This is a particular variety of pumpkin that naturally grows with a hulless seed. We would welcome any information about interest in growing this variety as well as any processing plants in the area.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Midwestern pumpkin seed production

i am in arizona haven't raised pumpkins alittle late now to plant. sounds like you have lots of seed contracts.

might have some intrest in growing seed crops if prices are good.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Howdy broke.
I must say your hadle doesn't exactly inspire contract confidence! Lol.
This would of course be for the 2015 growing season. There is no way I could get them harvested down your way without using the services of an existing harvesting and processing outfit. I would hesitate growing pumpkins on your hot environment. They don't pollinate too well past 90 degrees.
What else do you grow and how big is your spread?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Broke,
I bet teff would grow real well down your way. Have you ever raised it or seen a field of it? It is in the lovegrass family. Very small seed. Heat tolerant, can't stand freezing weather. Probable yield is 1500 lb/ acre though I've heard of growers getting a ton. Price is about $0.85/lb...conventionally grown, not organic.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

i have 40 acres of teff planted for forage 2nd year to plant teff. i am a small farmer mainly raising forage crops. i will take a look at any crop that is profitable. maybe i should change my name.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Do you have a seed combine with screens small enough for teff?
0 Kudos