cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ECIN
Senior Advisor

N - Plot Update

Well this moning - we put on the rest of the N on the plots - Only haveto wait till Sept. or Oct. to see what happens

we ran the Adapt N model this morning and it said we only had to put on 110 to 118 on the high side - I put on 120 - now let me throw this out to you guys --IF Adapt N do's work - then is all the extra n we put on - just eye candy ??  This plot has rates at 90 , 150 , 180 ,210 My 2 pass and Adapt N in it - 4 times , then I put out a plot on a 25 acre field - 1 round each  3 times - a head to head - so to speak . heres some pictures I took this morning . my documtims 505.jpgmy documtims 505.jpg

In the top photo center is Adapt N to the right is the 210 rate -- to the left is the straight rate 90 #

Second pic is one pass of 90 # nd I put on round 2 this morning .

my documtims 506.jpg

This in the same field in the top photo  - the rest of the field - not in the study - most at V-8 -- there is 6 feet between the bottom of the bar and the ground = corn about 5 foot tall or so .

BTw about a hour and a half -- after I pulled out --it poured ! Had 35 to go in another field - and  would have been done ! Had to leave sprayer in the field and wak out -- like i said It poured - didn't want to tear up everything  on the ends , lol

This type of work really makes you think - lol Everybody shoud do some work with these PRO'S -or the PROS in your area .

Have  a good day - now in T-Storm watch and Flood Watch till tomorrow --

0 Kudos
5 Replies
hanktbd
Senior Contributor

Re: N - Plot Update

Well designed test and a perfect year to try it. I will be amazed if the Adapt-N recommendation is sufficient judging by the chatreuse color showing at this stage of development. Betting your 90/90 treatment is the winner, especially this year with all the rain. The weigh wagon will have the final say.

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Thanks for your thoughts and reply here -- But what is the winner here - bpa or best economical rate ? it will be the second - would be my guess - there is a lot of time left till harvest and with some rain and heat - watch that Adapt N take off .

Last Dec. I attended the CCA conference in Indy - I went to this class put on by Cornell U. The results where pretty dang good !!!!!!  Remember - this is only the 3rd year for Adapt N and they are making changes daily to the program = heavy rain out your way and in Iowa - a lot of input from farmers on what is happening . It will only get better  in time .

N is my biggest cost per acre to the results will tell the story as to what i am trying to do to to raise my bpa at a certain cost - but that don't work every year - IF this program can give ole Ken a good idea --where to start - then that is a good thing -- right ?   lol

The plot was put together by Jim Camberato and Bob Nielsen at Purdue and My county educator Scott Gabbard , Then a lot of Info from my agronomist -- that rode with me yesterday  - he's been very valuable in this test to me . These guys are great to work with !!!!!!!!!!

Great learning tool here - and sometimes drives me nuts -- as its right next to the shop =see it everyday - lol

Have a good one Hank

Ken

0 Kudos
semndairyguy
Veteran Contributor

ECI, what was in this field least year? Beans or corn. I wouldn't rule out the adapt N corn just yet. Keep in mind, that N in stalks and manure and organic matter take time to breakdown. Think of it as slow release N so it gets used as it breakdown. I don't put any N on my alfalfa fields that go into corn and can grow 180-200 bu corn. Soooooo? Tell will tell.

ECI, your right. All the extra N could just be eye candy. You know kinda like all those girls back when you were young. You know all the ones....... those that dressed looking hotter then any other gal you ever met, but just wasn't as good in bed as the that average looking gal. lol

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

If you want my thoughts, top $ return per acre should be the goal. This doesn't always mean top BPA. The only time top BPA even counts is if you have an insurance claim.
0 Kudos
hanktbd
Senior Contributor

ECIN,

Curiosity is killing me. Thinking the plot should be near tasselling and would love to see some photos if possible. Did the Adapt-N plot green up after the side dress?? Have been reading some bulletins by a Missouri Agronomist who claims one can calculate the amount of N a corn crop is short of just before tassel by the color, so looking a bit closer at vegetation color this year as our corn nears tassel given the heavy rains we have experienced this spring and summer.

0 Kudos